Using Company credit card to pay for business expenses

Scouser

IT contractor with a limited company uses a company supplied credit card to pay for flights, accommodation, etc when required to travel for work. I then bill the client for the expenses inured by me. Is this the correct way to do it? Will these expenses be listed on the company's annual return the Revenue as "travel and accommodation"?

Last edited:

I assume the company bills the client?

I would include the amounts billed to clients in sales and the expenses paid by credit card in travel expenses.

In my view the expenses should be netted off against the receipt. The expenses aren't sales for the company so should be taken directly to the travel expense account with the net effect that they cancel out.

They're amounts that under the terms of the contract, will have been agreed as being reimbursable by the client company to the contractor company, similar to a solicitor charging for outlay. I don't see how you can infer they aren't part of the supply?

EDIT: Complete brain fart on my part - should say NOT similar to outlay incurred by a solicitor, because whereas outlay incurred by a solicitor is seen as an expense of their client, the expenses described by the OP are actually expenses incurred by the service provider in providing the service. They are the service provider's expenses, not the client's. In the same way that if the client agrees they will cover the contractor's phone bill, it's still his company's phone bill, but it can recharge the cost to the customer, plus VAT.

Last edited by a moderator: