Using Brick as kerbing??

Aimee

This may be a mad idea but you know that brick you can get in the likes of Woodies and Homebase for about 49 cent each welllllllll ............... would that work for kerbing! I reckon it would be fine enough but knowing me I have got it all wrong.

Got quote from roadstone for their castlestone kerbing - 280 pieces - €1200-00! Needless to say I am exploring other options such as above before I decide!

So what I want is a stoney looking kerb not the cast long lengths of kerb!

Let me know if anyone has used the bricks for such a job,

cheers

any other ideas also welcome

The problem with brick used in this way is that it will not resist frost action- that is the brick is likely to become saturated during winter and with hard frost the brickwork crumbles (spalling is the technical term) over time. This is a problem with any natural clay brick used as a kerb, coping etc in an exposed situation. There are frost resistant bricks available but these are more expensive. You would also find that clay bricks are not as mechanically strong as precast concrete kerbs or paviors- they will tend to chip over time. For this reason where vehicles are involved I would always specify a precast conc. kerb or pavior designed to withstand vehicular traffic- thus the price differential. Brickwork kerbs and edgings are fine for lawn and garden edgings where vehicles are not an issue.

I use brick kerbing on most of my driveway jobs. You can buy solid concrete bricks from roadstone in a range of colors for about 30 cents per brick or €230.00 per bale of 575. For examples visit www.topstone.ie

kiwi said:
I use brick kerbing on most of my driveway jobs. You can buy solid concrete bricks from roadstone in a range of colors for about 30 cents per brick or €230.00 per bale of 575. For examples visit [broken link removed]

A concrete brick is very different from the clay brick I was talking about.

Carpenter I've read alot of your posts and you know what you are talking about and give excellent advice, I should have pointed out to Aimee that along with the points you raised about using clay bricks that she would have to hide or cap the frog where with the concrete brick this doesn't occure