Using Bluetooth to transfer photos, music etc. to phone

I'm far from an expert but I think the data transfer rate for Bluetooth connections isn't great, only up to 3.0 Mbps, whereas USB 2.0 transfers at up to 480 Mbps.

I would think that Bluetooth connections are going to be very slow for data transfers of large files - MP3 and picture files are usually a couple of MB each

efm said:
I'm far from an expert but I think the data transfer rate for Bluetooth connections isn't great, only up to 3.0 Mbps, whereas USB 2.0 transfers at up to 480 Mbps.

Yikes! So 60 times slower than USB?

I do note this from the spec

Bluetooth 2.0 EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) technology: up to 3 times higher data transfer rate then standard Bluetooth

So hopefully only 53 times slower than USB .

Bluetooth 2.0 EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) technology: up to 3 times higher data transfer rate then standard Bluetooth

Yes - unfortunately that was the transfer rate I quoted !! - ie Bluetooth 2.0 EDR = 3.0 Mbps

I've transferred a few music tracks onto my phone and a few photos & video clips off my phone via Bluetooth. It is certainly manageable, though I wouldn't like to be sitting around waiting for them to finish.

My main dissapointment was that the Nokia Data Suite won't run over my bluetooth connection, so I can't use the nice Nokia facilities for backing up my contacts etc.

RainyDay said:
My main dissapointment was that the Nokia Data Suite won't run over my bluetooth connection, so I can't use the nice Nokia facilities for backing up my contacts etc.

But the music manager etc. still works will Bluetooth, yes?

Aldi are selling a bluetooth USB Dongle today for €12.99. I don't know if it is the same thing you are talking about but it seems like a good price.

"Allows wireless Bluetooth connection between a PC and other Bluetooth devices, as well as internet access.
  • Enables file sharing with other Bluetooth PCs
  • Dials up Internet through other Bluetooth PCs, or mobile phones, with Internet connection
  • USB compliant
  • Bluetooth V1.2 compliant
  • Powerful software solution
  • Connectivity with mobile phones, headset, keyboard, PDA, PC and printer"

Yes, saw that ok-it is the same thing.

The model sold by Aldi is v1.2, which would appear to be 3 times slower than v2.0

CCOVICH said:
But the music manager etc. still works will Bluetooth, yes?
Sorry - just saw this old query now - Not sure what 'music manager' you are referring to - I am certainly able to transfer mp3 files via the file transfer facility.

Cheers.

I was referring to whatever software Nokia provide to transfer/manage music-I was under the impression you had to use this to successfully transfer mp3s, but maybe that isn't the case?

Just to update-dongle arrived and works pretty well (is compatible with Nokia PC Suite), i.e. takes around 3 or 4 mins. to transfer a song. The only issue after that is that you have to move the songs from the default location on the phone to the newly installed 512MB memory card. All in all it's not bad at all I guess.