Using AIB banklink card in NYC

Re: AIB banklink card

if you have a visa card, its a good idea to put your balance in credit and withdraw cash that way. You dont get charged withdrawal fees then.

Re: AIB banklink card

car03 said:
if you have a visa card, its a good idea to put your balance in credit and withdraw cash that way. You dont get charged withdrawal fees then.
Not true, you still get charged the fee from the american bank who's ATM you use. If you have a positive balance on your credit card you don't get charged interest on the withdrawal.

AIB also charge a transaction fee for Banklink cards.

Transaction fee of EUR0.20 plus commission charge of 1% of the value (min EUR1.27,max EUR6.35).
Plus banklink currency conversion fees of up to 4% depending on the currency.

This is separate from the currency exchange commision (God, I never realised until now how much I was getting ripped off).

For AIB Visa:

AIB Visa
FX Transactions - Visa Europe Region : 1.75%

FX Transactions - Visa Rest of World : 2.75%

AIB MasterCard

FX Transactions - Europe Region : No charge 1.75%

FX Transactions - Rest of World : 0.25% 1.75%

Don't know about AIB but I work with BOI. There is no Cash Advance fee with Visa if your a/c is in credit ie. preloaded with funds.
Some US ATM's will charge you but they tell you beforehand what that charge will be. It's worth shopping around. If you use a high st bank atm as opposed to one in a shop, there should be no charge.

Using the Cirrus feature on your Banklink will cost you a min of €3.20 or 3.5% of withdrawal if over €100 worth. Yes, you are at the mercy of the currency exchange, but in my experience it's not much more than what you buy dollars for here.

As usual be careful with your cards when travelling & be sure that you have written somewhere the contact phone no's in case your cards get lost/stolen. Phone no is always ON the card so not much use if needed !

Have a great trip !

BTW I didn't think AIB had so many charges.
There is usually no difference where you use a Credit Card, either Europe or rest of world.
There is a big difference in use of Cirrus Card however. There are no charges in Eurozone - countries with Euro currency - other than tx charge of 20c/28c. Be aware though that you can easily overdraw as it's not online. You can quickly run up charges if you go overlimit !
Outside eurozone there is a charge of 3.5%, which can rapidly mount up. If you must use, please don't get small amounts .....better to get at least $200 a go, as the min charge is over €3.
Hope this clarifies some misconceptions !

foxylady said:
Can you use this card in atms in nyc?
Presumably you mean an ATM card with Cirrus/Plus+/Maestro? Yes - with charges as outlined above or on the AIB website. Or do you mean a credit card for cash advances (forex charges and interest in most cases) or cash withdrawals from a preloaded account (forex charges only)?

Back