using a slow cooker

june

can anyone please explain how to use a slow cooker? I did find useful info on wikipedia but I would like to hear from someone who has used one. There are a lot of them in the argos catalogue.
How long can it be on for? would you set it before leaving for work? Any info or examples welcome!

Thanks

Mine is normally put on before I go to work and turned off about 9 hours later when I return. It's great for stews.

Basically, you add all the ingredients and then hot liquid and the slow cooker has just enough heat to keep that at simmering point for hours, allowing your meal to cook slowly.

If you are going to be out of the house for more than ten hours or so and are concerned about leaving the slow cooker on for so long, some of them have timers.

That's about it. There are different cooking tips for different ingredients (e.g. some books recommend parboiling certain had veg etc.) but ultimately it's as Nige suggests. Last time I checked there were loads of websites with tips on how best to use them and there are certainly loads of recipe/cook books published too.

Hi June
The flavour is different. Anyway, Yes can leave it one Slow (min) all day, safe also. or there is a max meaning standard cooking for casseroles (possible 2 hours) You need to quick fry the meat & veg first, to seal the flavour, which defeats the object. Otherwise the veg will not cook properly. Also the veg needs to be placed on bottom & meat on top.
Hope this is useful
ps. I use a Pressure Cooker myself and it's fantastixc. 15 min for veg!!, also energy efficient cuts down 1/3 cooking time approx.

That's about it. There are different cooking tips for different ingredients (e.g. some books recommend parboiling certain had veg etc.) but ultimately it's as Nige suggests. Last time I checked there were loads of websites with tips on how best to use them and there are certainly loads of recipe/cook books published too.

I stopped using ours as it was more trouble than it was worth. If potatoes are not par-boiled they don't cook properly IMHO. The pressure cooker or pre-setting the oven is a better option. Probably less washing up too.

I stopped using ours as it was more trouble than it was worth.
Have to admit that the one that we inherited and used a few times has been gathering dust at the back of the cupboard too. The novelty wore off pretty quickly. :eek: But maybe I'll try it again on foot of this thread... :)

Back