Using a password manager with different accounts

windo77

I wish to use a password manager and I installed PasswordSafe (see http://www.schneier.com/passsafe.html and http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/) on my Windows XP PC while logged in as administrator.

However, I normally access the internet while logged in as a limited user but when I do this, I cannot access PasswordSafe.

I know I could export the database of passwords that I created with PasswordSafe as a text file and then access that text file when logged in as a limited user but to do so would compromise the security of database.

So, I need to access the same password database with PasswordSafe, while logged in as either user.

And if I modify the password database (by adding a new entry or editing an old one) while logged in as one user, I need to be able to access the updated database while logged in as the other user.

Is this possible with PasswordSafe? If so, please let me know how I go about it.

Or do I need to use another password manager?

note sure I follow this, Ive been using passwordsafe for a while now, it should open once you give it a username and a password, it shouldnt matter who youre logged in as. What happens when you try to open it as the other user?

Thanks for your reply.

Previously, when I was logging in as a limited user, Password Safe was not listed in my Programs menu and there were no icons for it in either my system tray or on my desktop.

So, I found the excecutable file in the Password Safe sub-folder of Program Files and opened the program from there. Yes, I should have thought of doing that before I posted previoisly!

I now find, as a limited user, that I have tell the program where the password database is stored (when I am logged in as Adminstrator, the program has already selected this file at the log in stage).

Having keyed in the password, I am confronted with 'Yes', 'No' and 'Cancel' buttons and the message:
Open the database for:
read only (Yes),
read-write (No), or
exit (Cancel)

Note: Choose "No" only if you are certain that the file is not being used by anyone else, including another copy running on your machine.

At the moment, I am choosing to open the database in read-write form when logged in as a limited user (even though I would not be similtaneously logged in as Adminstrator), meaning that I don't have all the flexibility I would like, but I can live with this right now.

Back