Using a credit card for withdrawing cash in Luxor egypt

jimmyd

As above - anyone have experiance of this? I am going for 2 weeks and want to bring half my spending money in cash and on week 2 withdraw my other half from an ATM.

Had no problem with it in '98. Dollars or sterling are as useful as Egyptian Pounds. Get a bum bag and leave excess cash in the boat safe or hotel safe. Bear in mind that cash advances on mastercard/visa incur interest immediately.

I am going to lodge the money into my credit card a week before I go to cut down on the charges - I assume it is egyptian pounds that the atm will give me? Should i bring some dollars?

we went with budget last year and yes it'll be egyptian pounds, we didn't bring any dollars, but changed some cash at the airport (not too much rates are not great).
Our hotel had an ATM so we'd no issue withdrawing from our ATM and Visa, I'm sure if you check your hotels info on the web it will tell you if they have an ATM onsite (if not, Sonesta hotel definitely has).

Jimmyd, I'd phone the company you have the credit card with and advise them what you intend to do. You just don't want any hiccups when you get there. I was in Cairo 2 years ago and saw a painting I fell in love with. However, in front of everyone my card was not authorised twice. This was even though my credit limit is €15k and I'm one of those people who hate paying interest so it is paid in full every month. Eventually, I got through to Visa by the gallery letting me use their office to make the phone call to Visa at home in Ireland. I was then told it was because there was a lot of credit card fraud in Egypt. Wheter there is or not, you don't need the hassle when you are away, so a quick call now might possibly save you wasting a half day out of your holidays trying to sort finances when you are trying to get away from all that.

I was in Egypt in May and had brought both a Mastercard and Visa. For some reason not all ATMs accepted Mastercard but I had no problems with my Visa. Any shop where I used my cards, I had never any trouble.

You are far better off using Egyptian Pounds (LE) rather than Euros/Dollars/Sterling as even though they are widely accepted, they will certainly try to rip you off on the exchange rate.