Using 1360x768 resolution for PC use

I'm sure there would be setting to change the res to suit your needs. But my guess is the images would be slightly larger on the tv screen.

1360x768 TV, you can fit as much on the screen as a screen is a normal 15" LCD 1024x768 Monitor, except you gain an extra bit of width (wide screen/336 pixels). On a 23" TV this will make everything larger than on a normal monitor, which is good if your eyesight is not the best, but might annoy you otherwise.

The 1680x1050 screen is proper widescreen monitor, so the icons/graphics will be normal size, you have more space, so can have more programs opened and in view at the same time, plus view larger spreadsheets etc. I don't know how much the Dell is, but Argos have them for about 240 to 400 depending on quality. We bought a couple wholesale (Fujitsu Siemens) for €230 ex vat a couple of months ago, so their price is falling fast.

Just make sure your PC's Graphic card can support the resolution before you buy.

Towger

If the plan is to hook up a laptop then maybe you could try this out in a retail store with the help of a shop assistant even if you plan to buy elsewhere (e.g. online)?

I'm sure there would be setting to change the res to suit your needs. But my guess is the images would be slightly larger on the tv screen.
Do you mean there might be a setting in the TV and I could change it to 1680x1050 when using the PC, and then change it back to 1360x768 for watching TV ?

I hadn't thought about that. I could maybe find out if that's the case.

No the TV is fixed at 1360x768. It physically has that many pixels. It can display 1360x768 or smaller. Can't display bigger.

The Video card in your computer only supports so many different resolutions. You need to check can it output the same res as the monitor or TV. You also need to check if it has an output that will work with the TV. HDMI, S-Video, Component Video, RGB Scart etc. Otherwise you'll be trying to fit a square plug in a round hole.

I had been thinking of purchasing this Dell Vostro PC, so I'll check with them to see if the resolution can be changed;
http://www.euro.dell.com/content/pr...spx/vostrodt_200mt?c=ie&l=en&s=bsd&cs=iebsdt1

No the TV is fixed at 1360x768. It physically has that many pixels. It can display 1360x768 or smaller. Can't display bigger.
Bear in mind that usually matching the video card output resolution to the native resolution of a flat screen yields best results and any mismatch will result in poor image quality.

I sent an e-mail about the TV and whether it was able to adjust the resolution to be used with a PC and they informed me

"Yes, there is a setting on the menu screen for using a pc. As well as a pc input slot."

I wonder what the setting on the menu screen does though? I wonder if this maybe adjusts it so as images are not distorted when being used as a PC monitor?[FONT=Arial, Verdana]
[/FONT]

The original link to the TV does not have a VGA (9 Pin D-Sub/RGB etc) input listed. This would need to be double and triple checked. It is possible that some versions of the TV (same model number) may have it and others not. Maybe download the manual, check if the VGA Input is listed and if so, is it 'optional'.

No VGA input is not the end of the world, I believe that a HDMI input can be connected to a PC's DVI output with a simple gender bender (without sound). Dells web site says that BOTH the built in graphic card (Intel 3100) and the 256MB ATI Radeon® X1300 have DVI outputs. I think they may be wrong, there is certainly no DVI output on their pictures of the PC. Chances are that the ATI Radeon® X1300 does have a DVI output and supports the resolution.

Towger

The "RGB Pc Input" mentioned here perhaps?

We're quessing, that the problem.

A quick search on Google seems to indicate there can be driver issues with that resolution. You'd really need to do you homework on each part of the chain. Perhaps ask on the Home Entertainment and Media Center sections on other forums like Boards.ie.