User friendly mobile for technophobe mother

Bluebells

Can anyone suggest a mobile phone without all the bells and whistles that seem so complicated to an older person unfamiliar with technology. My mother needs a phone, and I would like her to have one but she finds most mobiles difficult to operate.
Is there a model that is simple to use, that would suit her?

Re: User Friendly Moblie For Technophobe Mother

I saw an article on the Sunday Times yesterday about phones for 4 year olds (!). They are to be introduced soon in Ireland. My first thought was : "that would be great for my 70+ year old mother". Have a look:

That phone is ideal for the many, many people who appear to just want a simple phone that acts just like a phone should in that it allows you to make and receive calls and does away with all the extra bells and whistles that are usefull to some people but which are unused by the vast majority of others. The one button access for important people is particularly usefull - it does away with the multiple pushes required normally, even just to look someone up in the phonebook.

z

My mother has a Sagem phone, which she describes as her eejit phone.
Very simple to use. Most basic features can be accessed with one button press and minimal menu usage.
I dont know the exact model number, I will try to find out.

I remember there used to be a phone called Vodafone Simply, made by Sagem. It was specifically for technophobes, and only had phone and SMS features. I don't think Vodafone sell them anymore though.

To Squonk, Zag, huskerdu, and bytelive,
thank you so much for replies. I hadn't much hope that such phones were available. I often wondered why someone hadn't spotted a gap in the market for phones that are just phones. Every time I get a new phone ( very careless and abusive of my phones, I'm afraid ), it gives me more and more options, none of which I need or use. I get baffled myself, never mind my mother.

I'd recommend a simple Nokia phone. Their menu structure is very intuitive and user friendly.
I got one for my 77 yr old mum, and she's fine with making/receiving calls and texts. At first, I wrote out instructions on how to look up someone's number in the phone book and make a call etc. I also programmed in all the speed dials with the numbers of the people she would ring more frequently, so she only has to press one button to make those calls.

I cant remember the model, but the screen is faily big (to be able to read it more easily) and the buttons are also quite big, so typing a text is easier for arthritic fingers.