Used Car - out of warranty - comeback?

Silvergirl

Hi

Posting on behalf of a friend.

He bought a used car from a main dealer garage in Wexford 10 months ago. It's a '09 Jaguar Xf. Was given a 1 year guarantee by the salesman, happy out. 10 months on brought the car back to the garage as it's giving 'restricted performance' warning & his local mechanic diagnosed a few other issues such as blocked exhaust filter, badly worn break disks etc, during a routine service last week.

Told after 4 hours at the garage while it was being checked, that sorry but it was a 1 year /15,000kms guarantee - he has put up 25k kms didn't read the 15k kms clause in the small print :-(

Car needs 3k + repairs to it, plus that doesn't even fix the 'restricted performance' issue, which they think may be caused by an issue with the solonoids (?) but won't know more till they start to work on it.

Is there any comeback on this? It's only '09 with reasonable mileage, cost 32K 10 months ago, or can the garage wash their hands of it now after this period? It just sounds very unfair.

Help please!

"It just sounds very unfair. "

Is it just me or is it really, really hard to have any sympathy with a guy driving a Jag?

mf

Unfortunately this is the response I thought I'd get.
He works really hard for the money for it so why not if you can and it's what floats your boat?
Any other slightly more helpful comments?
If I said it was a 2009 Focus would it make it easier or 'fairer' to be in this situation after 10 months?

"If I said it was a 2009 Focus would it make it easier or 'fairer' to be in this situation after 10 months? "

It wouldn't change the fact that he's out of warranty!

mf

Unfortunately the fine print is the fine print. I dont think he has much of a comeback to be honest.

That being said, it is worth going back and trying to negotiate. Some of the issues may have been there when he bought it although assume it was checked out before he paid for it.

The garage might be willing to reduce the cost of repairs or throw in the labour for free seeing as it was only bought 10 months ago. Worth a shot.

Also worth checking out if Jaguar have extended warranties on some parts. My other half had a Airbag sensor issue with a VW a few years back. Car was out of warranty but turns out that VW covered extended warranty on parts and labour for that particular part.

Worn brake pads and a blocked filter is a service issue not warranty, has he had it serviced? most warranties a usually for engine and gearbox/

You rely on the goodwill the selling garage may provide, was the car serviced during the 25 thousand km's as it should have been according to manufacturers guidelines ? if not forget the goodwill, the other items are normal wear and tear associated with a 2nd hand car and km's covered.

Owning a prestige car is fine but there are after purchase additional costs required to maintain these cars and these are usually a multiple of those required on the run of the mill Corolla, Golf etc.