Used Car Description Query

familyguy

I am interested in a used car I have seen advertised on auto trader Uk.

However the description says it has a reconditoned engine fitted.

I am wondering if this is a bad sign and I should ignore it as a result?

The text of the ad which is a trade reads.....

"Recon engine just fitted, Black, Diesel, Manual, Trip computer,
Drivers airbag, Immobiliser, electric windows and mirrors, Body coloured bumpers. climate control, full years mot, fully stamped service history and all receipts, just serviced with new timing belt and water pump, gear box oil changed, tax end feb, leather interior in very good condition, alloy wheels, exterior perfect condition, drives like new with no faults..."

It's a used 2005 Saab 9-3 which in the pics at least looks perfect and the mileage is listed as 50,000 which is low for an '05 but I presume this is since the new engine was fitted.

Just looking for some advice on what questions I should ask if I go for a test drive etc?

What would cause the need for the engine to be reconditoned?

Im not sure what it means but I have beeen driving 20yrs, always bought second hand cars and always follow the one rule, Any doubts whatsoever, walk away the market is flooded with second hand cars

It means the original engine died and had to be replaced with a second hand one from another car. I'd be very wary as well. You have no way of knowing how hard that replacement engine was thrashed, usually the condition of the car would be a good indicator, but you don't have that now.

Back