Use of the word 'fulsome'

TarfHead

According the the Irish Times, John Gormley accepts the 'fulsome' apology made by an Taoiseach after his Morning Ireland gaffe.

According to the first link returned by Google ..

buttery: unpleasantly and excessively suave or ingratiating in manner or speech; "buttery praise"; "gave him a fulsome introduction"; "an oily sycophantic press agent"; "oleaginous hypocrisy"; "smarmy self-importance"; "the unctuous Uriah Heep"; "soapy compliments"

abundant; copious; fully developed; mature; excessively flattering (connotes insincerity); offensive to good taste; tactless

fulsomely - unctuously: in an unctuous manner

fulsomeness - unction: excessive but superficial compliments given with affected charm

fulsomeness - smug self-serving earnestness

fulsomeness - The state or quality of being fulsome or showing overdone and insincere flattery

This is one word that politicians should drop from their vocabulary - it doesn't mean what they think it means ? Then again, much of what spews forth from their mouths doesn't make much sense anyway !

This is a word that a lot of reporters misuse. I have lost track of how many times I have read of fulsome praise or fulsome apologies...

I'd only ever come across the word in relation to a womans bosom previously, just goes to show how little I know....

I noticed after the Bloody Sunday report was published recently that the comment from the general that worked that day was "The Prime Minister made a fulsome apology and I join him in so doing."

Given the gravity of the moment, I can only presume that his words were pre-meditated - it would be difficult to accept that he didn't understand what he was saying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10320609

The OP's post states that the word also means "mature" so what is wrong with a "mature apology"

I sigh every time I hear fulsome.

Maybe they will use profuse.........going forward..............sigh