Use of maiden names

• Thread starter Gone Fishin'
  • Start date
G

Gone Fishin'

A small point really but women don't have their own surnames, they must take either the surname of their father or husband.
The register seems to be a joke really and it appears, to me, that all the changes are an attempt to thwart SF in the upcoming G Election, as SF's election motto was, (and probably still is) "Vote early, and vote often!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Electoral Register/ Married or Maiden Name

A small point really but women don't have their own surnames, they must take either the surname of their father or husband.

Boys take the surname of their father (or mother) too.

People can call themselves whatever they like!

How you earn your name is by use and repute. Effectively this means for most purposes, if someone wants to be known by their married name (or any other), then they just use this name and ask people to call them by it.
and
The surname of a child can be changed in the but only in certain circumstances. However, the surname of a child can also be changed by Deed poll or common usage.

Where did that rediculous statement come from?
Do you think that men dont have their own surnames either, since they take them from their parents too?
And as for 'must' take them from father or husband - peopel can just as easily take their mothers' name.

To the original poster, I'd be annoyed too if someone decided to change my name for me without permission.

Where did that rediculous statement come from?
Do you think that men dont have their own surnames either, since they take them from their parents too?
And as for 'must' take them from father or husband - peopel can just as easily take their mothers' name.

To the original poster, I'd be annoyed too if someone decided to change my name for me without permission.

I think the point is that all surnames come from a man, even your mothers name came from her father

I think the point is that all surnames come from a man, even your mothers name came from her father

This is true historically, in Irish society, but not all societies.
As has been pointed out, it is not always the norm anymore and there is no obligation on anyone to use their husbands name, or on any family to use the fathers name for the children.

I am amazed at the number of people who still think its radical, pinko liberal dangerous thinking for a woman to use her own family name throughout her life.

I am amazed at the number of people who still think its radical, pinko liberal dangerous thinking for a woman to use her own family name throughout her life.

Oh but it is. Keep up that kind of thinking, and the foolish wenches will think they're fit to own property and vote. It must be nipped in the bud.

... oh wait, they already can. And now they want autonomy over their own names and to be precious about their sense of identity too? See, you open the floodgates...

People can call themselves whatever they like and establish any name that they like through common usage.

Signed
Rabula Conundrum

Back