use of clutch

dewdrop

I have 50 years driving done and obviously had n ot to it any driving test. I am giving "lessons" to a young person before that person will get formal driving lessons. I mean at the moment she is just getting used to getting car started etc. My query is say when driving very slow in heavy traffic is it permissable to press in on the clutch to avoid stalling or should you always go into neutral and then take off again in first or second gear. I dont want to say something which will be contradicted by the professional instructor.

My instructor back in the day insisted on that car not 'free wheeling' at any point and that it should be engaged in gear until you stop. This offers better control he used to say 'engine control' as opposed to free wheeling and relying on your brakes. Based on that your first option is the correct method slow down bring down the gears and press the clutch before stopping to avoid stalling it. Engage the handbrake if completely stopped then foot up off the clutch.

That my take on it. Passed my test doing that too!

The car should be able go along in traffic very slow at tick over, The ECU will control the revs.
As Yeager said if you stop for any length of time eg traffic lights, you should apply the hand break and put it in neutral, Do not ride the clutch (as is commonly done) it will cause pre-mature wear.

Another reason for putting a car in neutral, handbrake on and foot off the clutch is in case someone hits you from behind. If your foot was on the clutch, it could slip off and your car would go flying forward.

Some instructors will tell you to stay in gear if you are first or second in a line of traffic stopped at the lights, so that you can take off more quickly. Also, some clutching-in allows you to roll to a stop in a higher gear without cutting out, rather than going down through all the gears.

My instructor told me that.

I can confirm that what you are saying is correct cause I failed my test first time round for free-wheeling

That's my take also. Only take it out of gear and apply handbrake when at a complete stop.

Do professional Irish driving instructors not have to go through some process or exams before they can become instructors?

Do professional Irish driving instructors not have to go through some process or exams before they can become instructors?
Instructors need an ADI permit, not sure if this involves exams or whatever though...

http://www.drivertesting.info/

Thanks for all the replies. I have been "watching" what I have been doing for past 40 years. If i have to avoid stalling and know i can go again in afew seconds i tend press in the clutch...otherwise i do what i should be doing..neutral etc.