use of cards in usa/canada atm?

macnas

Is it possible to use either banklink or visa cards in usa or canada to get cash from atm machines?

If the card includes Maestro/Cirrus/Plus+ then you should be able to get cash. But check the charges. Even with forex charges it may be cheaper to lodge cash to a credit card account and make cash withdrawals (not advances).

just back from NYC and withdrew $$$ using my visa card. Cost on my account for this was EUR4.57. The exchange rate I got was better than the one I got in the BOI foreign exchange at the airport.

Visa; no problems to withdraw money in the USA, although there is a charge by your card lender. In my experience you almost always get the best exchange rate this way and this will more than compensate for the bank charge

guess it was a cash advance cos my account wasnt in credit. The cost for $400 was EUR4.57 - dont know if this is a standard charge or is related to the amount of the withdrawal

Note that when you avail of cash advaces there is normally a fee for the transaction and also interest charged on the amount advanced until it is repaid. These are separate from any forex margins built into the exchange rate for non € transactions. Some foreign ATMs may also levy an additional charge (e.g. a few $s in the US). You need to check the charges on your CC to be sure. Sometimes alternatives such preloading the CC (there may be security caveats here) or using Maestro/Cirrus/Plus+ could be more cost effective. I normally preload some cash onto the CC and then withdraw it and top-up while away if necessary using online banking (allowing for any delays in the transfer taking place).

Back