USD Bank Accounts for Holidays

A

ackd

Guys,

I'm just wondering if any of the major Irish banks allow you to open USD accounts. Myself and the family are thinking of going for a big holiday in the US in two years time and with the exchange rate the way it is now I was thinking of buying a whole heap of dollars but I don't want to keep the cash in my house so I was thinking of opening a USD account to store it in?

Cheers.

Bank charges are likely to be steep for this sort of account. Why buy dollars now anyway? The is low at the moment precisely because the experts can see little or no prospect of its appreciation in the medium term.

Fair enough. I was going to buy now and hold them because I think the dollar will have recovered somewhat by 2010 and I won't get as much for my money.

try www.citibank.co.uk . They have a zero fee USD deposit account but theres a quite a bit of paperwork involved in setting it up. I hear good reports about Anglo too but not sure what the fees are like.

I opened a USD savings account with my local Permanent TSB branch last month - 1.5% interest on >USD 5000. No more onerous a task than opening a EUR account.....

Bank charges are likely to be steep for this sort of account. Why buy dollars now anyway? The is low at the moment precisely because the experts can see little or no prospect of its appreciation in the medium term.

No problem opening a USD account. By opening a deposit account there will be no fees involved, as an employee of a bank I want to be careful not to promote our product on AAM, but I'd suspect competitor banks will also offer the same facility on the same/similar basis.

Regards,

BM