USB device exceeding power limits

ice

Hi

I usually have no problems downloading my photos from my digital camera to my laptop (windows XP) but now everytime I connect via the USB I get the following message

A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port. For assistance click this message

When I do this the following appears

To re enable the port disconnect the hardware and click reset. If you click cancel the port will no longer function.

When I click reset nothing happens. Any ideas what to do ....I may in the past have clicked the cancel button.How can I get this re enabled ?

Many thanks

The USB power thing is really just an annoyance.
You can disable it though just go to your device manager and expand your USB controllers Tree
Double Click your Controller. Will read something like USB 2.0 Host Controller

Go to the advanced tab and check do not show USB errors.

Only worry about the error if you are actually having trouble using your usb device.
Ive read that message is a bug in XP, but wouldnt like to say thats the case here.

Thanks for that.....at the moment I cannot download my photos because of this ...do you think if I do what you suggest I will be able to download ?

Cheers

If you cant use the camera then I wouldnt say disabling the error messages is going to help, but try it anyway. Also, try a different cable or have you got a memory card reader and can move the pictures from the camera to the laptop via that? Most newer laptops have card readers built in, I dont even bother hooking up the camera with the software now, I just use the built-in reader on mine.

Strange that it seemingly worked before but now does not. Did anything else change with the laptop between these two events? One solution might be to purchase an external USB hub with its own independent power supply and connecting to that instead.

yeah I don't know what happened...had been going fine for the last year and then all of a sudden wouldn't let me downloadthing has changed or been added

where would I get that external USB hub and any idea how much it would cost ?
Thanks

About a tenner for an external powered USB 1.1 hub. Probably nearer twenty for a USB 2.0 device. If your camera and perhaps other USB devices that you use are USB 1.1 then this one from 7dayshop.com for GBP£4 plus GBP£4 P&P (c. €11.60 in total) would probably do. Otherwise you might be as well to get a USB 2.0 hub. Shop around as these things are commodities these days and can be very cheap.

I get this message with a USB hard drive and have to connect both USB connections into my laptop to supply enough power.

That is not unusual with USB external hard drives which draw relatively significant power to require both connectors on the "Y" cable to be connected. Some external USB drives (e.g. particularly those using drives bigger than 2.5" form factor) require their own independent power supply. Note that not all USB hubs (internal or external) are created equal when it comes to total power characteristics and where "power limit exceeded" errors occur the only solution may be an external independently powered USB hub as I suggested above. A for the terms usb power problems throws up lost of relevant info.

Hi All

Thanks for you advice to date....needless to say I haven't done anything about it yet BUT I have to get on to it as I have a wedding next week....

Someone suggested that getting a card reader would solve the problem better than the external USB hub...

Would you agree with this or should I go with the external hub ?

Thanks for your help

Depends. A card reader might help but will bypass any synchronisation that your camera and its software normally does. If you use a card reader then you will probably have to copy the images off and organise them manually. If you want to stick with the camera's way of doing things then you might be better off with a powered USB hub. Mind you - with the prices on 7DayShop you could get both for not very much.

If you are having power problems then you want one that can be powered externally using a power supply transformer. It's not clear if that one fits the bill. I believe that this one can be powered by an external power supply but does not come with one as standard. So if you need additional power you'll have to buy a transformer yourself. However it does also come with a "Y" dual head USB cable which can increase the power output of the hub which might do in low power situations.

Feck it anyway ...thats the one I was going to go for ..!

Have ordered the first one so will see how I get on....its such a pain, especially when I am not technical at all

Its strange that it worked for months and then just gave up

Thanks for you help....

Don't worry. It [broken link removed] it can take an external power supply after all (note what looks like a power input at the right hand side). In any case if you still have power problems you can probably get one of those "Y" dual headed USB cables (like [broken link removed]) that connect the hub to two USB ports on the PC/laptop to boost the power supplied to the hub. I just connects one head as normal for power and data and another for power only.

You can get a card reader and external usb hub combined - very handy.
I got this one, little bit more pricey but good.
[broken link removed]

The link does not work but I presume you mean something like this. In any case a card reader is only a solution if it acceptable to bypass the normal camera synchronisation process as outlined above.

Thanks for the replies....my brother is lending me a card reader to see how I get on so between that and the other yoke I've ordered hopefully it will work......if not I'll be back here for some more excellent advice