USB Connectivity problems

briancbyrne

Hi,
I have a recently purchased H.P laptop which up to last night was working perfectly. I tried to transfer some files to an external hard drive last night and the laptop would not pick up the hard drive. I tried it with a 2nd external to try isolate the problem to the usb on the laptop and again it wouldnt pick up.
Up until last night it was working fine.

Any suggestions? -

thanks

brian

Have you tried different USB ports on your laptop or just one?
Any errors/popups or events in Windows Event Log (Start > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer)?
Is there a "Y" USB cable (e.g. like this) in case the drives (now - for some reason) need extra power?

Might also be a fault with the hard drive itself. Can you check to see if it can connect to another PC with the same cables?? If you can then it is an issue with your current computer. If you can't it is more likely the hard drive or the cables. A process of elimination!!

yes have tried all 3 usb ports - no joy

no there no errors etc on the event log
I have a Y usb cable so will try that (though dont see why they would need extra power as the externals are run from independant power source.
Could it be a case that I need to reinstall the usb software drivers ?

Ive tried a 2 other hard drives and have the same problem - laptop just not picking them up

Anything untoward in Device Manager?
You could try my usual suggestion of booting off a live bootable CD Linux distribution (e.g. Damn Small Linux) just to rule out a hardware problem?

cheers - no device manager cant pick it up either.
dont have access to any such bootable - will give it to a mate who works in the area to have a look. Just find it very wierd that it was working fine the day before!
cheers anyways folks

What do you mean about Device Manager? Are the USB hubs/ports listed? Are there any warning/error icons?

Do any other USB devices work?

At least if it does turn out to be a hardware problem then the laptop should be under warranty?

ive tried adding the hardware (externals) thru device manager - no luck - also no warning or error icons

No other usb devices are not working

I'm afraid I bought the Laptop in the U.S so not sure if I can use the warrenty

I might try installing a different O.S as Ive had nothing but problems with Vista

I'm afraid I bought the Laptop in the U.S so not sure if I can use the warrenty
Oh - maybe not so but check online.
I might try installing a different O.S as Ive had nothing but problems with Vista
Why not just try Damn Small Linux or the like as I suggested? It's just a 50MB download and easily burned to CD. You may need to change a BIOS setting to enable booting from CD.

ah right - didnt realise it was a download - Ill give it a lash this evening

appreciated!

Brian