Usa

Head-wrecked

Hi
I am planning a holiday in the states this year. Intending on spending the last week in Maine. Has anyone any tips for this area. We will have done a fair bit of travelling and would like to kick back and relax but still need to entertain the kids. Where are the best beaches and will they be packed in the middle of July.
Any Ideas

Hey - I'm from Massachusetts originally and spent some summers in Maine as a kid with my family. We went to Wells beach which I remember liking when I was younger and for Maine is maybe one of the more 'built up' places. However, not sure what kind of ocean you are expecting but the waves we're never brilliant and the water is freeeezing!!

Also - from my experience beaches are never crowded during the week and you can only really expect prohibitive crowds on holiday weekends like July 4th.

Thanks for the tip about the ocean. I will probably try to find a place with a pool. A friend has suggested Old Orchard Beach. Do you know anything about there. Also is Maine really humid in summer, we will have spent 10 days in Chicago and will be flying home from Boston, so thought a week at the beach might not be as stifling as the city.

Old Orchard Beach was on the tip of my tongue when I was writing my first response but I didn't want to lead you astray. I don't remember specific details about it but I do remember having a good time there as a kid with my family.

As long as you are on the coast the humidity won't be unbearable as you should get a nice sea breeze much of the time - and I think you've got the right idea going for nothern New England for that sort of thing.

However, if you are not tied specifically to Maine I was going to suggest some places a litte farther south (Newport, Rhode Island or Gloucester/Rockport, MA for example) that would have a little warmer ocean, just as much to do and the be within the same distance to Boston.

Thanks a million. We haven't booked anything yet, so I will take your advice and look at the other places before making a firm decision.

Hi Head-wrecked My other half is from Maine so have been there numerous times over the last 10 years. Place I would re commend would be Bar Harbour.Good drive up from Boston though.With regards humidity Maine away better then Chicago in this regards.

Back