USA waiver query

Ash

I'm planning on going to the USA in a couple of weeks & for a couple of weeks. Last minute opportunity presented itself. It's a vacation staying with friends is all. The thing is I can be flexible on dates and the length of time I'd like to stay.

Now you have to fill in the Visa/waiver form online. I haven't had to do this before.
Am I better booking tickets first and locking myself in to dates that might be nixed, or am I better filling in the online form first?

Any helpful advice much appreciated.

You don't need to put in dates when filling in the online ESTA form .. Validity is for unlimited trips for 2 years from date of issue ... so to answer your question I don't think it makes any difference (provided you apply in time, fill the form up correctly and get it approved)

You have to at least book your ticket to the US before you fill out the form because it ask's for your your flight number. It doesn't ask for a return flight number so you could come back when ever you want as long as it's within 90 days.

use this link https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ becareful of other sites i heard of 1 or 2 people that have paid for this but it is FREE to submit this form.

EDIT: EvilDcctork, what link are you using? The form i've seen does ask you for a flight number?

I believe that it's fine to leave the Flight No / Address etc. blank .. theoretically you can log back into the site and fill them in for each trip (I never have!)

It makes no sense to fill them up really on an authorisation that's valid for multiple trips.

[broken link removed]

Thank you all for your very helpful advice, including the "free" application web address.

I got travel authorization, valid for two years. What does that mean exactly - If I want to travel to the USA again within the two years, I dont have to fill in this online form again?

by what EvilDoctorK has said i dont think you will need to fill them in everytime you travel to the US.

I believe that it's fine to leave the Flight No / Address etc. blank .. theoretically you can log back into the site and fill them in for each trip (I never have!)

It makes no sense to fill them up really on an authorisation that's valid for multiple trips.

[broken link removed]

Thank you all for your very helpful advice, including the "free" application web address.

I got travel authorization, valid for two years. What does that mean exactly - If I want to travel to the USA again within the two years, I dont have to fill in this online form again?

No you don't need to fill out a new one but they recommend you update it with your new accommodation address.

As the OP, I have since made the trip and am writing my experience for what it's worth.

I arrived at Dublin airport giving the whole 3 hours time just to be sure. As it turned out, it took maybe 15 mins tops at a relatively short line waiting to check-in at American Airlines. There was no delay at all getting through security. I was left with a good 90 minutes to wait before boarding was even called. Then was sitting on the aircraft for an hour before it even took off!
There would have been ample time with the three hour check-in that morning to clear immigration if AA used that facility at Dublin. As it was, that line in Chicago was very long and slow and took at least 30 mins to get through. Awful for some passengers whose connecting flights were due to depart soon after we landed which was about 30 mins late as it turned out.
There is confusion about booking flights and then onward connecting flights in the US as not every passenger knows in advance when booking whether US Immigration takes place in Dublin or Stateside for their particular flight.

Back