USA requirements

galwayreader

I,m heading to the states in a few weeks and am trying to find out what documents/visa I need . I'm travelling from Shannon , does this make a difference?
Things seem to be different since Jan. and I'm finding it all a little confusing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh but you STILL have to fill the form out at the airport!! Didn't know this until we turned up at the check point at the top of the stairs before immigration and they wouldn't let us through without a form. We didn't get one at check in so they gave us some, we had to fill them in and then go back. This was Jan 19th, a week after the system was meant to be paper-less.

Don't know what's going on but you still need that green card in your passport!

The green form will still need to be filled out for the forseeable future. It will eventually be phased out.

The green form is the normal visa waiver form that they've been using for years. There's no need to investigate it (unless you really want to!) as you just fill it out at the airport. You still need to fill in the online thing before you go though - it's just that they appear to want the normal form filled out when you fly too.

Unfortunately the green form is going to continue for quite a long time. The US Census Bureau use the details from these forms to collate tourist/visitor and immigration statistics. In a major case of shortsightedness the US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS) failed to integrate the Bureau's needs into to the new online system, until they do so the green I-94w will continue for some time.

As for this new online ESTA system, expect the DHS to monetize it. They have said they would do so as soon as the system was bedded in.

Back