US Work visa/permit, 12months

spud26

Hello,

I have a question relating to a work permit/visa for the US. I know that historically it has always been difficult to obtain a work permit, but I am just wondering if this is still the case? What are the chances of getting a visa to work in the US for one year?
My friend and I are both lucky enough to be in permanent jobs here and we hope to take a 12 month career break in the next few months - is there any hope whatsoever of both of us getting a visa or are they even been given out any more.
I have done some research and googling and so on, but seem to be finding various differing answers. Is it a complete lottery system or how does it work?
We would ideally love to travel to and work in the Boston area, is it necessary to have a job secured before travelling?
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Unless you qualify for the graduate programme whereby Irish graduates can get a 12 month visa for the US and US graduates for here...then there's almost a zero chance.

The green card lottery opens in Autumn each year, this year's will be for Green Cards in 2012 so even if you got one you'd have a wait.

A lot like here, only certain skill sets could easily obtain a visa for the US, medical professionals more than most. Or if you worked for a company with a US branch and you could be seconded for a year.

Looked into it all a couple of years ago and even as a professional couple, we couldn't get visas. A friend in the US is an immigration lawyer and couldn't find a way for us. Short of investing $500,000 in a depressed area in the US (yes you can still buy visas!) we have to be content with holidaying there.

Shesells, thanks a mil for the reply, it's what I expected but great to get the info. At least I can cross it off my list of options now and start to think about somewhere else to go!!

Thanks again.

Back