US Stereo

Hi,
Does anyone know if an American radio/CD player will work in ireland?

It will but you will need a transformer to change the voltage of the electricity unless the unit dual voltage.

I know Peats used to do them but I'm sure they're available on the interweb somewhere

all u need is a adaptor ..u can get it in Argos or Dixon...and stick a big red sticker to remind urself that the stereo uses 110V, b'cse the chance u forgoten is big!and the cost is huge man!

It's make is a Jensen don't have the model number. But it is a waterproof 1 to be mounted onto a boat so won't be able to plug in to anything as will run off battery.
Thanks for your help
:D

Most electronic tuned American FM radios only go in divisions of 0.2Mhz? So you can tune in 91.1, 91.3, 91.5Mhz etc. Most irish one go in divisions of 0.05 so you could be unlucky and be unable to tune in a number of radio stations depending on what frequency they are on.
P.S. I think its Mhz. apologies if its a different frequency band.

Ahh...it's for a boat - in that case the voltage shouldn't be an issue

However, Legends point is spot on - I had that problem when I brought my car over from the states - the radio would only pick up 50% of Irish channels because of the different Mhz. steps

If you post the unit details we might be able to investigate to see if it will pick up non-US stations

Edit: Apon further investigation I see that at least some of the Jensen units can select between US and European frequencies - the for instance - so you need to make sure the unit you are looking at has this functionality

Last edited:
Moved here from the states almost ten years ago and brought our stereo system that included a Pioneer receiver, dual tape deck, turntable and cd player. It was very expensive when I bought it in the early 80's and I wasn't willing to part with it. Bought a "step-down transformer" at Peats in Dublin and have never had a problem with it. I just tallied all the voltage/wattage per component and gave the total to Peats and they advised on the best one. Word of caution, tho......I bought TOO MUCH voltage/wattage and everytime I turned it on, the circuit breaker would go so I had to return it for a less voltage. Also keep in mind that you will most likely never be running all components at the same time so no need for so much voltage/wattage.

Also brought over a portable cd player with radio. That didn't do so well. Bought the step down transformer but it eventually burned out. As for the Pioneer receiver, we don't use it much for the radio......just to run the other components.

Back