US Pcs

Mpsox

Travelling to USA later on in the month, seen some good ads for laptops at silly prices, €400-€500 cheaper then over here. I know there is a power issue but that can be covered off with an adapator and I know enough about PCs and have enough contacts to cover off most support issues, however is there anything else I need to consider, will an American built in Modem work over here for example?

modem would be standard.
make sure you take it out of the box in case they try and impose some vat / import duties on you.

Bought a laptop over there last Nov. Savings were good if not spectacular.

Leave the packaging behind (after you've checked that everything works ok), otherwise you risk getting caught for duty when you come home.

The only thing I needed to do was fix the plug as they come prefitted with an american plug. I just got a pliars, cut off the american plug and wired it to an Irish plug. Works fine. The wires weren't colour coded but there was a tranformer build into the lead so I just took a chance and it worked fine.

Used to work in a company making laptops. That was back in the 90s when there were loadsajobs in that area !!

However, as far as I remember, we shipped out laptops to all different regions - the only configuration difference that was needed was the plug.

Can't ever recall anything about modems or anything else being different.

US keyboard layout (i.e. the decals on the keys) is definitely different as i mentioned above.

Back