US/Irl adapter for battery charger

A

Ash

My other half got me a digital camera in America. It came with a battery charger but it is obviously designed for a different electrical supply.

Can I easily get an adapter here to do the job, and if so, where and how much would it cost, roughly?
Or would I be better off buying a charger designed for the Irish electrical supply?

I like taking photographs but I'm backward when it comes to all the doohickeys needed for all this digital stuff.

Thanks everyone.

Are you sure that it's not just a US plug but a universal (i.e. 100-240V, 50-60Hz) power supply? If it is a universal power supply but the wrong plug then you can either use a travel adaptor or snip the plug off and wire on an Irish one. If it is a US only (120V/60Hz) power supply then you will either need a step down transformer (to convert the Irish 220V supply to 120V) or an alternative power supply that gives the approporiate DC output and polarity (usually positive centre, negative outside). What DC rating is noted on the actual charger device and what polarity is outlined? It may be that a multi-voltage transformer from Argos or the like might do. Make sure that you get one of the correct mA rating (e.g. they can come in 800mA, 900mA, 1500mA, 2400mA, 3000mA etc.).

Hi Clubman,

Thanks for your detailed reply so quickly and being so helpful.

The charger says:
Input: 100V - 240V AC 50/60Hz
22VA(100V) - 30VA(240V)
Output: 8.4V DC 1.2A

The actual plug bit is two silver pins, approx half an inch apart. I dont see anything which says polarity to me.

If it helps, the unit is a Canon battery charger CG - 580

Re: .

Input: 100V - 240V AC 50/60Hz

OK. This means that it's a universal power supply so your (almost) laughing. Forget about all the other stuff I mentioned about step-down transformers, polarity, mA ratings etc. You just need a US two pin to Irish three pin travel adaptor to plug the US two pin plug into and then plug the adaptor into the Irish three pin socket. Alternatively you could snip the US two pin plug off and wire up an Irish plug. That's what I did with the lead for a laptop charger with a US plug that I got recently. But you might be better off getting a travel adaptor and keeping the lead intact. Does that make sense?

Thanks a million Clubman,

I was hoping to hear there was a simple adaptor, i.e. a US two pin to Irish three pin convertor.

Now, any idea where I might get one?