US immigration laws still give citizenship to persons born there?

Betsy Og

Often thought the best present you could give a child was have them born in the USA and thereby entitle them to citizenship.

Could an exepctant mother park herself in the US on a holiday visa to reap this advantage? (lets ignore the practicalities for a minute...)

It's not "US immigration laws", it's the US Constitution, and yes it is still in force.

Could an exepctant mother park herself in the US on a holiday visa to reap this advantage?

Yes. But it won't give her any US residency rights.

AFAIK, the right to US citizenship for everyone born there exists, but does not give the child, or their family residency rights. When 18 or over,the child can apply for a passport,

BTW, it is a personal opinion that a US passport is a "great present" to give a child. You might feel that way, but lots of us dont.

does not give the child, or their family residency rights

Right about the family, wrong about the child. The child has the same rights as any other US citizen. Of course s/he might have trouble exercising those rights with no other family there but that's a different question.

Once the child is 18 it can get petition for citizenship for its parents.

Anchor babies don't work in the USA. The US is actively deporting the parents of such anchor babies.

My wife and I are Irish Citizens, permanent residents in the US (Green Cards), Our son was born in the US, and is a US citizen, he got his passport at 3 months old for a trip home to Ireland. For me the gift is his access to an Irish/EU passport in the future :) he can access the best of both worlds tbh.

Once the child is 18 it can get petition for citizenship for its parents.

No, once the child is 21 they can petition for residency for their parents (and there's a long waiting list so this will take a few years). After five years of residency the parents can apply for citizenship for themselves.

Anchor babies don't work in the USA.
Agreed.

BTW, it is a personal opinion that a US passport is a "great present" to give a child. You might feel that way, but lots of us dont.

Purely practical, I've only been to the US once, 16 years ago, so I'm not in love with the place nor ever want to live there (I dont think anyway). But if my young lads could have the right to live there if they so chose then wouldnt that be to their advantage.

So have you been keeping the courage of your convictions???, not watching Friends or drinking Bud I hope .......

Back