US Dj to perform in Ireland

wavejumper

I am trying to find out what documentation will a US DJ need in order to play over here other than a valid passport.

Tried to call the dep. of justice but the phone system is automated and asks to e-mail inisbprm@justice.ie which keeps on bouncing back.

Does anyone know how it works or can point me in the right direction to an official form or something like that?

Ta.

There are various VAT requirements which the concert-holder must comply with too .... ...

cheers, I had already re-sent the mail to that address as I noticed the error after calling that number again. Incredible that it's not possible to get a person on the other line, just referrals to e-mail addresses. There's no info on the site, only one I found is related to performers needing a VISA but US citizens don't need a Visa. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Performers

If anyone has gone through this and knows what the score is it would be appreciated as I imagine I'll be waiting a long time for an official reply.

There are various VAT requirements which the concert-holder must comply with too .... ...

such as? can anybody provide a link to where this information is stored? I am asking on behalf of a UK agent who is really struggling to get any sort of info from the Irish governement, no wonder people avoid organising gigs over here.

such as? can anybody provide a link to where this information is stored? I am asking on behalf of a UK agent who is really struggling to get any sort of info from the Irish governement, no wonder people avoid organising gigs over here.

He also needs a Work Visa.

1.Go to Revenue site
2.Type in performance
3. First result

[broken link removed]

9. Treatment of non-established performers and traders

The provisions which refer to the supply of services by non-established performers are included below.
9.1 Relevant sections of the VAT Act
The law provides that
'where a person not established in the State supplies a cultural, artistic, entertainment or similar service in the State, then any person, other than a person acting in a private capacity, who receives that service shall
  • in relation to it, be an accountable person or be deemed to be an accountable person, and
  • be liable to pay the tax chargeable as if that accountable person had in fact supplied the service for consideration in the course or furtherance of business;
but where that service is commissioned or procured by a promoter, agent or other person not being a person acting in a private capacity, then that promoter, agent or person shall be deemed to be the person who receives the service;'
9.2 [Section 8(2)(aa) of the VAT Act 1972 (as amended)]
In addition Section 8(2)(d) of the VAT Act 1972 (as amended) provides that a 'premises provider' (being a person who owns, occupies or controls land) who allows non-established traders or promoters to operate on the land, has certain obligations with regard to the VAT liability of these non-established traders or promoters.
9.3 In the case of non-established traders supplying goods for a period of less than 7 consecutive days on the land, the premises provider must, not later than 14 days before the day on which the non-established trader is allowed to trade on the land, notify the local Revenue District of the name and address of the trader, the dates on which the trader intends to supply goods, and the address of the land.
9.4 In the case of non-established promoters supplying a cultural, artistic, entertainment, or similar service, the premises provider must, not later than 14 days before the day on which the service is scheduled to begin, notify the local Revenue District of the name and address of the promoter, and the dates, duration and venue of the event or performance.
9.5 Where a premises provider fails to provide true and correct information as required, then he/she may be made jointly and severally liable with the non-established trader or promoter for the VAT due in respect of the supplies made by them.

I'm afraid that we have only gone through this process for clients who are seeking to set up business in Ireland on a permanent basis. However, we have found that the Dept of Justice actually do normally reply quite promptly to our emails - normally within a maximum of a day or two. Hopefully they will be as prompt with you.

However, that link that you posted above seems to give a fairly comprehensive list of documents required personally by the DJ himself.

In relation to VAT requirements, the provisions are primarily in place for artists whom are performing at an event where tickets will be sold for the purposes of seeing that artist. In that case, the onus falls on the promoters/venue to fulfil the criteria as outlined in dereko's post, extracted from the the Revenue website.

thanks both for the information.

I will wait for the Dept. of Justice to get back to me in order to get the exact documentation required by the artist in order to make sure that he is allowed to perform legally. I'm doing this on behalf of the artist's UK booking agent so the VAT implications I'll leave to the local club to sort out as they are a bit beyond my remit, I'll pass the info on anyway. Thanks for your help.

Wavejumper, can I ask is this for a one off gig or this this to take up residency in a club and be ongoing?

Thanks all again, I sent the same query to visamail@justice.ie yesterday; they replied today with a very comprehensive list of requirements and all the info I needed.

I also received a reply from INISbperm@justice.ie but it is far more generic. The general gist is that no Visa is required but the performer should bring along documentation issued by the club owners with the details of the gig, times etc etc.

The gig is a one off, not a residency.

Cheers, WG.