US Car Rental

f0zzy

Has anyone any experience with insurance4carhire.com ?

I am travelling to the US for a 4 week trip. The car is already booked with Alamo but no insurance is included in the price quoted.

I am concerned about the insurance costs and what exactly I need to go for to cover damage to the car and 3rd party.

insurance4carhire seems to have a good product
USA-CANADA CDW/SLI & EXCESS

All advice appreciated ..

Does your credit card company not provide insurance when using it to rent a car ? I know Alamo will tell you they do not accept your credit card as coverage but your carrier might have a different take, call your credit card company. I rented a car of alamo in florida, they insisted i needed to buy their insurance, i declined my credit card provided me with insurance.

I'll second Chum's experience - I have coverage through American Express - they're pretty unambiguous about covering everything - [broken link removed] and in the small print) .. however rental agents at the counter in the US will swear black and blue that you're not covered on it (I assume they're commissioned on extras as they're where the rental company makes the profit) ... you have to be quite forceful in declining - they cannot force you to take insurance with the rental in the US as far as I know.

I've no experience with the top up insurance provider you mention but read their small print carefully and know what you're covered for and then stick to your guns when picking up the car - insurances can easily double the base price of a US rental and it's totally pointless paying for them if you're covered elsewhere (elsewhere could be with insurance4carhire or your normal travel insurance for personal accident which they'll normally try to push on you as well)

It's usually cheaper to book a rental that includes all the insurance. I don't know if it's too late for you to cancel Alamo and try that.
It's worth trying argoscarhire.com (you can get to it via pigsback.com)
I just had a quick look at that and Hertz and a month's rental for the smallest car with insurance and unlimited miles is just under €600.
I guess that's pretty expensive.
I'm not familiar with the insurance4carhire but it looks interesting.

Thats very interesting chum and EvilDoctorK, I have never heard of the credit card insurance. By any chance do you know how you can find out if your covered by your c card, I suppose I will give them a ring. I hired a car in LA last year and the car rental company seem to have a policy of adding all the extras so it's up to you to have them removed. I am going over again in a few weeks so am trying to figure out the best insurance, I always like the peace of mind of having the most comprehensive cover and am unsure about buying packages online.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Am pretty sure my credit card company does not cover Car insurance
but I will check.

In the absence of this am seriously considering insurance4carhire as
it would save us a packet.

I think it is probably possible to cancel the car hire. It was booked
through expedia and there is a "Cancel" option ...

I have used insurance4carhire before for a similar trip and that policy should cover you but only up to 31 days continuous car hire.