Urgent problem - son becoming a Chelsea fan !!!!

You know it's desperation time when Charity Shield wins and Super Cup wins are brought up as evidence of success!

You know it's desperation time when Charity Shield wins and Super Cup wins are brought up as evidence of success!

Especially when you include that famous charity shield win of 1955. Ah the glory days!

Edited for the glass half empty folks...

Premier League = Winners: 2004-05, 2005-06, 2009-10
FA Cup = Winners: 1996-97, 1999-00, 2006-07, 2008-09, 2009-10
Football League Cup = Winners: 1997-98, 2004-05, 2006-07
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup = Winners: 1997-98

FYI - Not a Chelsea fan but facts are facts.

Could be worse like Spurs and only point to their DVD releases of when they beat Arsenal.

Could be worse like Spurs and only point to their DVD releases of when they beat Arsenal.

A dreadful slur on this great old club whose record includes :

The only club to win the FA cup when still a non league club.
The first club to win the double in the 20th century in 1960-61 ( when money was more evenly spread throughout the league & teams found it immeasurably more difficult to buy success )
The first British club to win a European trophy & the inaugural winners of the UEFA cup in 1972.

And who've beaten Arsenal a couple of times recently.

I'm not a fan of anyone really* but Chelsea do stink of new money and realistically success has only arrived since Abramovich took over.

*I kind of half used to follow Nottingham Forest and check their result first every Saturday because I always back them to win the League but I'm not a fan because I couldn't name 5 players

Could be worse - he might have ended up a Man U fan. At least Chelsea is a reasonably safe and easy place to get to if you go to matches. Crowd and locality around West Ham and Newcastle would be a bit rough for a kid.

In these recessionary times, you might be better chosing a lower league club where ticket prices and jerseys are cheaper.

Location might be ok but some fans are anything but! The hard core in Chelsea Is as rough as anywhere.

Choosing a team because of handy location, cheaper tickets and kit!
Let him get older and choose for himself, it's a lottery choosing a team as a kid, all my friends went the Liverpool way in the 80s and I chose the (relative underdogs), none of us would have thought that my team would be winning all the league titles between us since the 90's. I liked United because I used to read about players and I was really taken with Brian Robson and his amazing injury list as well as his achievements, so I think everyone has to find their own club.

Choosing a team because of handy location, cheaper tickets and kit!
Let him get older and choose for himself,

One fears the die will be cast

As I said I dont particularly want to choose a team for him (I laugh when I hear of new Daddy's putting their newborn child in a Liverpool/Man U shirt), but jaysus talk about bad luck, Chelsea !!!

My dad lived in Manchester during the 50's so was huge Utd supporter so I didn't have much choice! Didn't particulary enjoy the first 12-13 years but no complaints since! I think most people are influenced by patents, older siblings, friends etc when it comes to choosing a team.

One fears the die will be cast

As I said I dont particularly want to choose a team for him (I laugh when I hear of new Daddy's putting their newborn child in a Liverpool/Man U shirt), but jaysus talk about bad luck, Chelsea !!!

Unfortunately you have to love him anyway. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

I'm not a fan of anyone really* but Chelsea do stink of new money and realistically success has only arrived since Abramovich took over.

I dont know about the new money but Chelsea started to become successful when the foreign boys arrived (cant rem who owned the club then) - the likes of Zola and Gullit and Vialli were a joy to watch. I think those boys were the start of the European influx to the Premiership.

There is a lot of 'new' money in the Premiership, sure Ireland was full of new money until 2 years ago...

They were great players but didn't win anything of great importance. For the Zola of the time, there was a Michael Duberry or Jody Morris.

They were great players but didn't win anything of great importance. For the Zola of the time, there was a Michael Duberry or Jody Morris.

They won 2 FA Cups and a UEFA Cup Winners in the late 1990s back when those competitions meant a lot. FA Cup was second to Premiership, not much else to win in England. I remember at the time it was pretty impressive but yeah they were a 'cup' team, they never had the squad to win a league.

Keane and Irwin had a good view of Zola during an FA Cup run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iozAK_80zBo