UR Bus

mmclo

Has anybody used this service to and from the Airport and D.15, what's it like, have certainly seen it around and if it goes per timetable would be ideal way of circumventing carpark rip-off (including so-called alternative Parkrite)

Don't know why you think the Park-Rite car park is a rip-off mmclo, personally I find its good value and would much rather use this than have the hassle of getting from my house to a bus stop and back for the UR-Bus - but each to their own I guess.

Yes I have used the Parkrite car park on several occasions and can't be considered a rip-off. €5 per day vs €8 for the Aer Rianta car parks. I think it is testament to Parkrite that the only complaints I have heard is that the car park can be full up and therefore people have no choice but to use the Aer Rianta ones.

Given the discussions elsewhere about rip-off Ireland, this seems to me to be a great example of competition in action.

Hi Tallpaul,

I was talking about long term! For short term €5 is very good but there is no reduction for longer periods, even aer rianta (DAA?) do this. I e-mailed their site asking about a long term rate and they replied €5 per day. For two weeks this is €70. A bit better than DAA but not much.

It's no skin of my nose there are alternatives but with kids etc. bus can be awkward so maybe taxi for the big hols but what about all those coming from meath, kildare and further afield.

In the end of the day I don't agree that two providers signify much competition look at the banks and mobile phones for other examples of this. The planning and other restrictions around the airport make the dominace of DAA complete.

I think the point is that there IS an alternative!!! and it is cheaper!! therefore competition.

When going to the airport I come from "further afield" and still use the long term carparks. I can't see what difference this makes as to where you are travelling from. Dublin Airport is not just for Dubliners!!! Similarly, the issue of kids and whatever, the same issues arise whether you use the DAA car parks or Park rite, given that they are within 300 or 400 metres of one another. They both provide a shuttle bus to get to the terminal. In fact they both provide the exact same service only one is cheaper than the other. Seems a no brainer to me...

Your other choices are I suppose a taxi, bus or a lift from a friend/relative... Can't think of any other ways unless you own a helicopter

If you come from further afield you are more likely to use a car, can't see many taking a taxi from Kells, Kildare or Wicklow. Car is undeniably more convenient with children and baggage then a bus. As with all other markets further providers or variety of services would bring further reduction in prices but the land around the airport is not freely available to those who would like to enter the market, indeed Prime Time reported on how the Airport scotched several planning applications due to legislation which allows them rule out anything in the vicinity of the airport (red zones) but allowed development by it's own subsidaries and companies (i.e. ALSAA). In a proper competitive situation those functions would be seperated

I have used the UR bus regularly, it comes on time and I think is good value. The only problem I have with it are the drivers, I have yet to have a driver that could speak English and some of them are downright rude. It is certainly a good alternative to paying €5 a day for a car park....