UPnP Device? What is it?

Marie

What is it? When I go to Control Panel, My Network Places, under "Network Tasks" one option is "UPnP device". When clicked there is a warning that if you choose to open this firewall must be disabled.

.........but what's IS a UPnP device? What does it do and should I meddle with it?

UPnP

Universal Plug 'n Play.

(UPnP) is a set of computer network protocols promulgated by the UPnP Forum. The goals of UPnP are to allow devices to connect seamlessly and to simplify the implementation of networks in the home (data sharing, communications, and entertainment) and corporate environments. UPnP achieves this by defining and publishing UPnP device control protocols built upon open, Internet-based communication standards. The term UPnP is derived from Plug-and-play, a technology for dynamically attaching devices to a computer directly.

Thanks AJ! Would this include USB storage-devices and activation of the "Remote Help" facility which I tried without success to use some months ago but encountered problems (a colleague at the University suggested he access my p.c. remotely from their system to sort out a glitch with a particular HTTP connection).

Back