upload/download speed

Sammie

Hi Can someone please explain to me what upload and download speeds mean when deciding to get the internet at home?

why is the upload always bigger than the download?

can someone recommend a speed to me, moderate usage.

Also, what does upload/download limit per month mean?

thanks

The download speed, for most people, is the important factor. Download speeds are normally higher than upload speeds - this is because most people download alot of info - eg reading mails, downloading files, online games etc, but do not upload much info.

What do you mean by moderate usage? Will you just use it for email, browsing the web - if this is the case I would say 1Mb is enough. If you are downloading alot of files, or gaming online then 2Mb + would be recommended.
Note that your download speed can be affected by the contention ratio.

The upload/download limits per month mean that if you go over the limit set then the ISP will charge you extra. In most cases, especially if you are a moderate user, then you will not hit the download limit - I think that in most cases the limit is just a rough indication (this is what I was told when I signed up) - it's to prevent people downloading stuff 24x7.

I think that in most cases the limit is just a rough indication (this is what I was told when I signed up) - it's to prevent people downloading stuff 24x7.

Not in the case of UTV-I was charged for marginally exceeding my limit.

I went with Esat and they said that it was just an indication - I suppose that it depends from one provider to next - I don't think I would ever hit my limit.

there is an offer for upload/download limit for 20GB a montha and a download of 2mb.
for someone uploading pictures and using the internet mostly in the evenings but only for basic stuff and not for a long time is this the right package to use?

It's fine.

Make sure you read the terms and conditions for any hidden charges/extras.

there seems to be a problem every time a post a reply....telling me it can't find the URL