Upgrading to UPC Horizon - what happens my recordings?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I am due to get a new Horizon box from UPC on Monday and they want the existing box back.

But what happens to the programmes recorded on the existing box? Are they in that box, or in the cloud somewhere?

Brendan

Gone as they are in the box.

Horizon is one box for router and TV so if separate suits you due to WiFi coverage then Oops.

Let us know you experience with Horizon as I'm getting bad reports.

Yes programmes are gone, as they are on the other box.

Also, you may be in for a rude surprise with deterioration of Wifi signal. You could be lucky as it depends on several factors such as size and type fo house construction and especially interference from your neighbours, but a lot of people (including me) report that the Wifi struggles to get further than the room with the Horizon box. Personally, I'm verging on dumping UPC TV altogether and going back to a separate modem/router. (I think you mentioned elsewhere that you have cabling that make improve things for you).

Thanks dub

I am keeping my modem and just getting the box for the TV.

The TV is downstairs whereas the modem is upstairs. The signal at the TV is not good, so I will probably get a wifi extender.

Brendan

Horizon WiFi is really bad from reports I have had.

The signal at the TV is not good, so I will probably get a wifi extender.

Try these " TP-Link TL-PA451KIT AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through Starter Kit". I bought them from Amazon for £22 incl P&P on Daily Deals and work great.

Not WiFi, cable connect.

Also heard horizon was rubbish. In fact, in light of increase in price, I've cancelled upc tv and an just keeping the broadband. Well with the free analogue tv obviously!

I am interested in how well this works, I need to chase UPC next week as I am paying top end price for not the top end service on the 3 way bundle.

It would be great to get an up to date report on the Horizon system even if you are not using the wifi.
How about trying the internal wifi as a test to do a direct comparison on the existing modem?

How about trying the internal wifi as a test to do a direct comparison on the existing modem?

Hi Frank

What are you suggesting I do here?

I will of course give a report on how Horizon TV works for me. I was speaking to a friend today who has it and says it works fine. They moved from Sky and it was quite different. He said it was like switching from left hand drive to right hand drive - one gets used to it after a while.

Brendan

Well with the free analogue tv obviously!
I also have the very basic TV service from UPC. The signal is by cable via the old analogue system. Like Brendan I was also thinking of upgrading to the next step from the basic package. However if my memory serves me correct it was suggested in an old thread that even if I cancel my subscription for the basic service with UPC I will still be able to get it through the old cable system. Is this true?

I've always had upc broadband coming in through the wall, and in that scenario the analogue is always available. If you were to cancel absolutely everything then I'm not 100% if analogue would still be there...

I assume as the wifi is built in to the horizon box you could turn it on setup a password then test the range.

Plug in the original modem in the same spot and do a similar test

You could download something like insider app or a bit more crude just use bars on your phone or ipad to see the difference.