Upgrading RAM

lyonsa3

Complete novice here and I looking at ungrading RAM of PC. Sorry in advance but all these letters and numbers cnnected to RAM is well over my head.
I carried out an web check of my system. What i seem to have is an Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.66GHZ Model 3, Shipping 4. CPU speed 2680 MHz and current memory 256mb with max capacity 2048mb.

Checking web sites shows me RAM that is compatible but them seem to differ a lot. One such RAM has a spec of; DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR333 2.5V 128Meg x 64
Compared to a second of; DDR PC4000 3-4-4-8 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR500 2.8V 128Meg x 64

1. First of all do I need RAM that matched my current RAM spec and if so how do I find the spec of my current RAM?

2. The web check stated that each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200 or DDR PC4000. Do I need to get a matching speed of my current RAM or can they be mixed?

3. What is the difference in the second DDR number (DDR333 vs DDR500) and are they both compatible?

4. What is the difference in the voltage of the RAM (2.5V - 2.8V) and yet again are both compatible?

I'm sure there all basic questions but any help would be of great benifit.

I upgraded memory recently and I used http://www.shop4memory.com/ based in Kildare. They seem to be very good on price and delivery is free if 3 or 4 days by post is ok. It might be worth your while checking them out and even emailing them with your details, they will know what RAM you need and less hassle for you. You can also use a their online memory configurator to look up your PC brand/model.

You really need to buy from an outlet (online or otherwise) that gives a money back guarantee if the parts they supply are not compatible. Otherwise there is simply too much risk of buying seemingly compatible parts that don't actually work.

I upgraded memory recently and I used http://www.shop4memory.com/ based in Kildare. They seem to be very good on price and delivery is free if 3 or 4 days by post is ok. It might be worth your while checking them out and even emailing them with your details, they will know what RAM you need and less hassle for you. You can also use a their online memory configurator to look up your PC brand/model.

I agree shop4memory is good. They have a memory configurator so you just select your PC model from a list (hopefully your PC is on their list) and it tells you exactly which memory you want. You just choose how much to order.

I bought the 1G ram. installed it but the computer only says that 512MB is currently in the second slot. Computer is a lot quicker but can anybody shed any light on why this would be. I checked the RAM i installed and it said 1G.

This is exactly the sort of situation that I had in mind when I posted earlier and why I and others suggested buying from an online or other vendor who offers a money back guarantee if the RAM is not 100% compatible as is the case here.

Your PC is only recognising half the capacity of the RAM for some reason or other (often due to the low level memory density/number of chips or addressing details etc.). While 512MB this is an improvement on the original 256MB you are obviously not getting the benefit of the full RAM capacity.

Where did you buy this RAM and do they have a money back guarantee if it is not 100% compatible (as it is not)?

I bought it on ebay from myconnectway.com. No money back guarantee but i've contacted seller. will let you know the outcome.

Hi lyonsa3
Did you get 2 x 512mb memory cards or one 1 x 1Gb card? Also what way was the old memory - was it two 128mb cards or just one 256mb and have you removed this? Finally, I know you said it has a max capacity of 2048mb, but how many memory slots are on your motherboard - 2 or 4? If there are 4 are you sure that you have put your new cards in the correct slots - they are normally colour coded - any chance you know the make and model of your motherboard?

eBay sellers usually require you to check in advance that the parts you commit to buying are compatible in my experience.

i got one 1G memory card. the old memory was one 256MB. there are 2 slots on the motherboard so i placed the new card in the second slot. the motherboard number is 8S651MP-RZ. I also checked first on the crucial web page and it stated that this memory card would be compatible with my system (after doing a scan on my computer)

It said that the specific memory part that you bought on eBay was compatible?!

Try taking out the existing ram, and putting in just your new card in the first slot.
Having a mixture of types may affect what your computer is picking up.

Goto website http://www.memoryx.net/ and use their online 'CHECK YOUR COMPUTER'. It tells you all you need to know and automatically redirects you to page with specific RAM for you computer. US based and I've used them loads of times - possibly best value around and no hassle with postage, etc.

Lyonsa3 - try out what Berni suggested above. You mentioned that it is showing up that there is only 512mb in slot 2 - is it showing the 256mb in slot one aswell?

Depends on your computer too. Some computers are picky about how ram is installed and in what order. For example on mine if I install 2x512mb in the first two slots (the original ram) I can't install anything bigger than 512mb in the 3rd and 4th slots. However if I install 2x1024mb in the first two slots then I can install the original 2x512 in the 3rd and 4th slots.

If you post the serial/model number of the ram of the new and old ram we can find out what they are. Also post details of the computer and/or the motherboard. If you run something like "Belarc Advisor" it will do a scan of whats in your machine.

And some computers will only ever see, say, half the capacity of a 1MB part because of the issues that I mentioned above (related to memory density, the chips used, number or ranks/banks etc.). See here.

Back