upgrading our family car from a Hyundai Coupe to a nice new saloon: Recommendations

TripleA

My wife and I are upgrading our family car from a Hyundai Coupe to a nice new saloon (Hyundai Coupe's and kids seats dont go).

We are looking at the following but cant decide:

- Alfa Romeo 159
- Audi A4
- Honda Accord
- Volvo S40
- VW Passat

anyone got these or hear anything about them??

would you recommend new or second hand?

Thanks

Re: Recommendations

Hi TripleA - just want to point out .

Might help in getting a response if the heading is more specific

Depends what you're looking for... I think the new Mondeo is a great car, I have just ordered a Volvo V50 ( estate car) , only because I thought the Mondeo would be too big for the roads I am driving on. I have driven the Alfa 159 on holidays, it is a real fun car, but will depreciate immensely. If you're not in a rush and are not scared by French cars ( also huge depreciation), wait until early spring for the new Citroen C5, it is definitely one of the nicest cars for that kind of money I have ever seen, but it is French.
I like new cars, but 2nd hand would be more economical.It all depends on what you want.

From those on your list I'd go for the Accord for reliability, space and appearance. Depends on what you want as others have said - the Alfa and Audi are definitely aimed at a younger market than the Accord or S40.

Personally,I'd always buy 2nd hand, ideally at 3 years old.

Have a look at these:

[broken link removed]

www.honestjohn.co.uk

We are looking at the following but cant decide:

- Alfa Romeo 159
- Audi A4
- Honda Accord
- Volvo S40
- VW Passat

anyone got these or hear anything about them??

would you recommend new or second hand?

Thanks

I had an A4 tdi and can highly recommend it but there are better out there if space is a requirement. The Alfa would be lovely but the depreciation would be a killer. The Accord is just too expensive because of the large engines, The S40 is more of a focus sized car and a bit cheaper than the others.

The Passat probably makes the most sense esp in diesel but its awfully boring. If I was buying new I'd be looking at the Mondeo also. Second hand it would be hard to beat a well specced 140bhp passat tdi

- Alfa Romeo 159
- Audi A4
- Honda Accord
- Volvo S40
- VW Passat

Take a look at the Volvo Flexifuels. They are pushing them through dealers at the moment and the VRT is 50% less than the petrol equivalent. I drove one the other day and thought it was alright. (Prefer my V50 D5 though...)

The Passat is solid and a fairly nice drive. The Alfa is a cracking car. The Accord would be great for your Dad. The Audi is solid as well but found the drive a bit flat and unispiring.

Also... from left field... take a look at the new Renault Laguna. Haven't driven it myself yet but it's getting some very good reviews and Renault are making big noise about having sorted out reliabilty issues.

I drive an S40 and had an old model Passat before that. The Volvo is a nice drive and well specced up. It is a good bit smaller in terms of cabin size and boot size than the Passat and i imagine the new model passat is similar size wise to the old one.

I prefer the look of the Volvo to the new passat.

Until i actually have money to burn I will be buying 2 yr old second hand cars!

I drive an S40 flexifuel and it is great. Most comfortable car I have ever driven. I benefitted from the VRT reduction, but I only use unleaded, as I have yet to come across a Maxol station selling the E85 fuel on my normal routes.
I think though it might be a teensy bit small for you if you have more than one child. We have a 20 monht old girl, and would only use the volvo for a short (1-night) trip. Anything longer we take my wife's honda CRV, as you can pack in everything
If I was in your shoes I would definitely consider the new Mondeo. It looks great and the reviews are excellent. Would also be more spacious than the S40.
One other car springs to mind - the new Mazda 6. It is up there with the Accord for reliability, has bigger space, and is competitively priced compared to the others

One other car springs to mind - the new Mazda 6. It is up there with the Accord for reliability, has bigger space, and is competitively priced compared to the others

Yes, forgot about this one - would advise considering this also.

Agree. Bought one 3 years ago and think it's a great car. Nice and roomy with a huge boot. Three sets of golf clubs and two trolleys no bother.
The new model got a great review in the paper this week.

I've ordered the 159 for delivery in January. So, guess what I'll recommend.

The 159 has been in production since Nov 2005, although is a relative newcomer to these islands. No reliability problems that I can see, and a big improvement on the 156.

From what I've read the depreciation for the 159 is going to be more than the Audi and BMW, but similar to Hondas.

Take into account you can get a top of the range Diesel with loads of bells and whistles for 52k that would cost WAAAAY more for a BMW. Okay, the BMW will hold it's value better, but the Alfa has lower to fall. Hope this makes sense, it does in my head anyway.

Happy motoring which ever car you choose.

From what I've read the depreciation for the 159 is going to be more than the Audi and BMW, but similar to Hondas.

This doesn't sound right. I was under the impression that Hondas kept their value better than Audi/BMW anyway?!

This doesn't sound right. I was under the impression that Hondas kept their value better than Audi/BMW anyway?!

'The 159 is expected to hold its value better than the 156 and about as well as a VW Passat or Honda Accord, although not as well as an Audi A4. With the exception of the 3.2, which likes a drink, all models can do over 30mpg and the diesels are especially frugal.'

[broken link removed]

Hope this helps.

OK smcgiff

...but not quite what you were saying. Only the A4 is mentioned (most popular/desirable Audi?) I'm not sure other Audis fare so well depreciation wise. Don't see any mention of BMW.

OK smcgiff

...but not quite what you were saying. Only the A4 is mentioned (most popular/desirable Audi?) I'm not sure other Audis fare so well depreciation wise. Don't see any mention of BMW.

I was comparing the Alfa 159 to other models. Not Hondas to whatever. Unfortunately I could post numerous links that claim BMW depreciate slower than Alfas.

I'm actually very surprised at that you know. We all know Alfa’s lose their ability to give a good return like an aging pole dancer but I would have expected a Passat to hold it's value quite well. Is it down to the ubiquity of them compared to other cars?

I've just read the quote again and I get it now...

It's not that Passats are bad... it's that Alfas are now good...

There's a turn up hey?

No contest....honda accord will go forever!