UPgrading from XP Home to Pro

zag

I am in the process of upgrading XP Home to Pro but have run into a problem regarding keeping the applications and data.

When I am in Home and insert the Pro CD it tells me that the current version is newer than the CD version and so won't proceed.

When I boot the CD and install Pro to a new directory I get a working Pro version, but no installed applications. The data is still all there, but the registry entries aren't.

I can boot to either, so the installs are working correctly, but the problem is that I don't want to have to install everything from scratch in Pro again.

Is it possible to copy the relevant registry bits from Home to Pro to make everything just work ?

z

Perhaps you have applied service packs to the Home installation and if you uninstall these or roll them back then Pro will install over the existing installation? I'm not sure if you need a specific upgrade CD package rather than a standalone install package to do such an upgrade though.

You probably have SP2 installed and maybe your Pro CD does not include SP2 so the system sees it as an older OS. I haven't done this but I guess that if you uninstall SP2 you could run the Pro upgrade and then put back SP2. Probably a better option would be to integrate (slipstream) SP2 with your Pro CD on to a new blank CD as described here [broken link removed]

Back