Upgrading a Ready To Go phone

Ash

I dont know much about mobile phones except that I have one, it's a Nokia, probably two or three years old and is "Ready To Go". I had no input into the buying of it so know virtually nothing about the way the package is all put together.
Now I quite like the idea of upgrading from the block-like Nokia I have to something a bit flashier. One of those flip top ones, with picture taking capability while staying on the Ready To Go system of paying.
I've taken a look at the phones on the Vodafone website and I'm shocked by the price difference between "pay monthly" and "Ready To Go" phones.
Surely there's a way around paying big bucks for the same phone?
What's the story? What's the easiest and cheapest way for me to upgrade my phone? As ever, all advice, in words of one syllable or less, would be gratefully received. ;)

Ash said:
something a bit flashier. One of those flip top ones, with picture taking capability while staying on the Ready To Go system of paying.

The price difference is due to the fact that they want you to go bill pay, seemingly they make less money on ready to go.

depending on how flash you require , the Motorola V550 for Eur139 upgrade online would give most users what they require (minus 3g services).

If you really want state of the art you're probably better going to the likes of Templecom on the quays or a great newsagent between the halfpenny bridge and o'connell bridge on opposite side of the quays from templecom heading towards o'connell street - both of these places have a good range of Sim free phones which work on any network, but you will pay a high price for them as a result. (the newsagent is the best as all its phones are visible in the window)

Hi Ash,

Am convinced 'Nokia are the rolls royce of mobile phones' and a friend who looks after a corporate account for mobiles regularly confirms this statement.

If you are thinking of upgrading to a picture phone something like [broken link removed] is best in my opinion and from the online ordering system which will save you €20 over the Vodafone shops at the moment and get you a free radio as well. The flip-up/flashy versions that you describe above are gimmicky and fiddly for texting!
Know one person who has the Nokia 3220 and swears by it and another who has [broken link removed]and does not rate it at all.

P.S. No association with Nokia.

Bear in mind that usually the price of upgrading a ready to go phone usually includes lots of credit. I'm on O2 myself and upgraded last year, paying 79 for the new phone but getting in total 120 of credit (20 straightaway for registering the phone and the rest at 10 euro per month). My brother upgraded his Vodafone ready to go around the same time and although I don't think he got quite as much credit he did more or less get the same amount of credit as he paid for the upgrade.

Also remember that you can change networks and still keep your own number . I don't know what Meteor network is like but the O2 one is fine... Check out the cost to upgrade and see which is cheapest , also check which phone numbers you dial regularly , if you phone 086 numbers most then an O2 account would work out cheapest , if 087 then stick with Vodafone.
But if you use the phone a lot then it might be cheaper to switch to bill pay, phone calls are cheaper although there is a rental. Operators prefer bill pay because it makes you more likely to stick with them.

sueellen said:
The flip-up/flashy versions that you describe above are gimmicky and fiddly for texting!

My Motorola flip up flashy phone is not gimmicky and fiddly for texting!!

sueellen said:
Hi Ash,

Am convinced 'Nokia are the rolls royce of mobile phones' and a friend who looks after a corporate account for mobiles regularly confirms this statement.

If you are thinking of upgrading to a picture phone something like [broken link removed] is best in my opinion and from the online ordering system which will save you €20 over the Vodafone shops at the moment and get you a free radio as well. The flip-up/flashy versions that you describe above are gimmicky and fiddly for texting!
Know one person who has the Nokia 3220 and swears by it and another who has [broken link removed]and does not rate it at all.

P.S. No association with Nokia.

This is your opinion only Sueellen, and corporate account holders have all sorts of criteria for choosing suppliers. Nokia has been losing market share so not everyone shares that view.

Anyway, hubby upgraded his Nokia to a flip up flashy thingy and is delighted with his purchase. Just goes to show that different people like different phones and it's worth trying a few alternatives. It is definitely worth taking advice on experiences on reliability though, as this is not something you can gauge in the shop.

"This is your opinion only Sueellen"

Sigh. Did I say it was everyone's opinion? Maybe I'm the only person in the whole world with this opinion so.

"not gimmicky and fiddly for texting!!"

A few friends who have them have complained that texting is sometimes awkward (letters don't register properly) and have therefore not recommended them.

sueellen said:
A few friends who have them have complained that texting is sometimes awkward (letters don't register properly) and have therefore not recommended them.

I think the "them" in "who have them" would have to be expanded upon as to which precise models? In my experience when "letters don't register properly" it's because the user doesn't know how to use predictive texting.

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your responses and the valuable hints and advice.
I haven't purchased yet; got to research some more, including going to into as many phone shops as I can for across-the-counter advice and to get my hands on some models (pardon the expression!)
Thank you all. :)

go to www.ciao.co.uk for user reviews of various phone models

Generally of the big 3 manufacturers, Mototola are ackowleded to have some of the nicest designs and best hardware but are let down by poor User Interface. Nokia have the best User Interface, but have fallen behind in terms of leading edge technology and Sony Ericsson are somewhere in between.

Back