Upgrade Verso to Galaxy?

DeBarr

Hi all

We have an 05 Verso (23.5 K miles) from new (1.6 petrol) and have found it to be a great car - the only drawback is the boot space when all 7 seats are up - we can fit the buggy in if we force it!

We use it for carrying our 3 kids and their Grandmother about so a lot of the time all seats are in use.

At this stage though we are starting to outgrow it a bit (kids getting bigger, thinking of holidays in France and carrying kids friends to/from school etc) .... and have looked at the 1.8 TDCI Ford Galaxy LX. We are looking at a 07 (registered April) ex rental with 20K (kms) on the clock. The retail of these new is €38.5K and he said he'd sell it at €34.K and give us €20.5K for our own so the cost to change is about €14K.... Seems like a good deal..... we looked at the SMAX as well but the back is tapered a bit and the headroom is limited in comparison to the Galaxy....

Does anyone out there have any experience of the new shape Galaxy and does the deal sound good? The warranty on the Ford lasts until April 2009....

Thanks in advance
DeBarr

Fantastic car. They look lovely, drive well and have masses of space. They along with the S-Max have been getting rave reviews due to their agility and overall packaging. They are no doubt the best in their class at the moment. The 1.8 TDCi engine is prehistoric although by no means a bad unit from what I hear.

We received a similiar quote in the early summer from a Ford dealer in the Midlands for a new Galaxy - E15,000 with a 05 Verso trade-in. The new Galaxy has the fold down seating which I find great in the Verso.

1.8 TDCI is a modern development of an older block and head. It's a 2nd generation common rail diesel, and is as refined, powerful, and economical as anything else around.

The 1.9 TDI's fitted to Skodas, Seats, Audi's, and VW's in an ancient design however.

WE bought a 07 Galaxy in Feb. and it is by far the best vehicle we have ever owned. There is no problem with the engine. It has a strong turbo and great pickup in any gear. 50 mpg + possible and with the fold down seats it is totally versatile compared to the old model where you had to take out the seats. Solid as a rock too and the 1.8 diesel should have great resale value.

I don't think a 4.5k reduction for a second hand car with 20k on it is a great deal.
I'd ask him (and several other dealers) what the cash price is on a new one (I'd imagine minus 2-3.5k ?), and cross check what price it'd take for a fast sale of your own on carzone/cbg or the like.
I'd be surprised if you didn't come out serveral thousand to the good, and have a one owner galaxy when it comes time to sell it.

hope this helps.

R