Thanks.

Re: upgrade from 1.9TDI to 3LTDI??

One questions - WHY?

VRT - higher
Motor tax - higher
Fuel costs - higher
Pollution - higher
Chances of taxes being raised on vehicles over 2L - very high after election

At the end of the day you can only legally travel 120 kmph max, why do you need such a massive engine?

So they are going to put a new engine in the car?

I'm sure it is more likely that they are just going to chip the engine to give it the power of a 3.0tdi

You'll have to inform your insurer, and it will void your warranty (an issue if it is a brand new car) and you'll probably use more fuel. But hey no pain no gain.

Chipping diesels seems to be quite common, and easily done.

fred, what bhp is that octavia you bought? as far as I know its the 105bhp unit in the octavia 1.9

you'd probably get another 25-30bhp by getting it chipped. Nowhere near what the 3.0TDi would achieve. Those 1.9 engines are good for up to about 175bhp but you would also be looking at some hardware changes.
€600 sounds a lot, I know a guy who recently chipped his 100bhp A4 1.9TDi to about 132bhp for about €400 down in Roscrea

Seeshells you've got the wrong end of the stick completely,but anyway,
tosullivan the Octavia i bought has 105bhp as you pointed out,
im not thinking about it,i was just curious of the concept and how common it was as its all news to me.
Thanks.

The important thing is the bhp upgrade, KIA do a 2.9 M-benz engine that's only 100 bhp. You have to check that out.

That engine still has the same block remember and that might only be able for an extra 20 bhp or so over it's life. It's not worth melting pistons or burning rings out of it. Then all you have is heavy oil consumption, heavy fuel consumption and a very costly engine repair.

Say good bye to the warranty as well on the car, our computer can tell if the V.W, Audi, Skoda's etc have been "Chipped" and we've been told to look out for this stuff and that's logged then.

As i say I was curious as i'd never heard of it,im sure it's
not widespreadly known about.i wont be going near it anyway.
Thanks.

Ok, you would NOT be changing an engine from 1.9L to 3.0L because a 3.0L wouldnt fit in a skoda!! and would cost thousands if it did! What these companies do is alter the software (chipping) to change the air to fuel ratio to give different power characteristics. This can (but not always) damage the life span of the engine but will always cancel the car warranty (if any remains). It will also mean the car is modified (any change from factory settings constitutes modification) and all insurance companies will have a problem with non-declaration of that, if you dont delare it and pay higher costs they will not cover the car in an accident.

John M thats what i wanted,a perfect explanation,
it sounds as dodgy as "clocking".the person who
made me aware of the fact did it to a brand spanking
new Audi A6?!is he mad?
sounds like something to steer well clear of.

there's nothing dodgy about it.

cars are restricted by the manufacturer for all sorts of reasons. By "chipping" a car you are releasing power that is already there (by altering fueling and so on..)

each post has more info..........
was the guy i know mad/not?
does it affect resale?

there's nothing illegal about it (as long as you inform your insurance company to avoid having your policy cancelled) Its a hidden modification that is impossible to find just by looking at the engine bay. There is nothing dodgy to worry about as long as the person who has carried out the chipping is qualified at what they do and know what they are doing and use quality products.. There are some dodgy aftermarket chipping prooducts out there.

It is quiet a commen thing these days to be carried out on VW's, Seats, Audi's and Skoda's. Some units allow you to switch between factory BHP and the upgraded BHP.

Some of the better known chipping units on the market are Tuning Box, Revo, Unichip, Superchips

As for qualified specialsts check out

www.westwardeng.com
www.tdp.ie
www.tightrope.ie
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Say good bye to the warranty as well on the car, our computer can tell if the V.W, Audi, Skoda's etc have been "Chipped" and we've been told to look out for this stuff and that's logged then.
This is probably the cheapest way to chip a VAG engine, but the gains are very minimal, but you plug them out before you bring them to a dealer so they are not aware of them being chipped.

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

He's mad. If you mess with these it's going to cost you!

These German cars are barely able to run the stuff from factory let alone mods. Just wait till these cars are going for NCT then the CO2 will be all over the place and your F**ked.

John M thats what i wanted,a perfect explanation,
it sounds as dodgy as "clocking".the person who
made me aware of the fact did it to a brand spanking
new Audi A6?!is he mad?
sounds like something to steer well clear of.

I think he's mad. It would devalue a car also in my view.

Manufacturers build tolerances in to engines to ensure a long and reliable life.

If you want more power buy a more powerful engine or car.

Insurance wise non disclosure and other frauds are commonplace.

Be very wary of any modifications that are made to the ECU via various forms of chipping as more and more manufactures are putting ECU's with the ability to log certain things. Also there are alot of Factory preset information which is connected to emmisions and if that is altered the dealer / manufacturer can check and tell if this has happened. All warranty's would be void.