upc router setup.

Treefrog2108

hi all.
I have bought a upc router which is now connected by ethernet cable to a labtop,I have internet here now.but I cant get the router to send the signal to my pc or playstation.

On the pc I am asked to insert an ssid number which must be exactly 8 characters long.the passsword they gave me is only six digits and the computer wont accept it.

does anyone have experience with this setup? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

thanks.

On the pc I am asked to insert an ssid number which must be exactly 8 characters long.the passsword they gave me is only six digits and the computer wont accept it.

The SSID isn't the password, its the name of your network.
On UPC it usually looks something like UPC98765

thanks for the reply. yes i have that now.Its the network key t as it is called in the manual. i have entered both ssid and network key in or the playstation and it works now.

But my pc still wont accept the network key,password. On screen it says to enter a network key or a wep.This is the password i believe,it has to be exactly 5 or 13 characters long and the password i got is only six.

thanks for the reply. yes i have that now.Its the network key as it is called in the manual. i have entered both ssid and network key in for the playstation and it works now.

But my pc still wont accept the network key,password. On screen it says to enter a network key or a wep.This is the password i believe,it has to be exactly 5 or 13 characters long and the password i got is only six.
the playstation seems to be working ok now,Im online and can play fifa,although black ops wont go beyond the lobby and I have a 30mb connection I asume it should be strong enough

as for the pc Im still lost.If i call out the tech guy he'll charge for it.Im sure if i spend some time googling and messing round with it I might figure it out,

Can you see what security protocol it is trying to use? Sounds like it may be WEP?
Try changing it to WPA-PSK and see if that helps

thanks for the tip,Ill have another lash tomorrow and get back to let you know if i succed.

Im all teched out now.The playstation more or less scanned and gave me three options for the wep/wpa malarchy and it figured itself out.That is now running online

Im definately doing somethin wrong with the pc connection.

Back