Up and Coming Dublin Commute towns

Micky

Hi all

Are there any "undiscovered" (ie. not bandered about in the national media) towns with commute potential to Dublin left?

Depends how far you are prepared to travel but Ballivor, Co Meath would be a similar distance to Kinnegad but much smaller and seems to be cheaper.

There was a very good article in the Sunday Times Home section last Sunday about commuting towns in terms of travel, amenities, house prices etc. Dundalk and Drogheda came out tops mainly because of transport links (road and rail) and house prices. Athy was number four. A lot would depend on whether you can use the rail into work as this seems to be the quickest option. Meath didn't do well as a commuter area (Kells, Navan and Athboy were way down the list). I can well understand the reasons why as I live in Meath and the N3 and the lack of a train line mean we are really far behind other areas like Drogheda. If you can't get hold of a copy of the ST, PM me and I'll post it to you. Well worth a look.

If not Ballivor then the back of Ballivor, say Delvin (The Valley of the squinting windows ) itself.

If not the back of Ballivor then go beyond the back of Ballivor, say Castlepollard.

You are in Connacht then sure

even though Dundalk and Drogheda came equal tops, the main differences were a) Drogheda has a lot more daily trains- dundalk has only 2 or 3 that get in before 9am and these are full to the brim. Oddly enough the bus service from Dundalk is better. [broken link removed]

I have been commuting daily from Drogheda to City Centre since this time last year. Sure it is a bit boring/tiring if you can't sleep, work or read for whatever reason, and taking the Arrow commuter train both ways (approx 55 mins x 2) is a bit too much; The Enterprise service is much better – just 30 mins in the evening, comfortable seats, very smooth ride, pantry car etc. Shame on Irish rail and government for listing all that surplus revenue and such crappy green tin trains!