Unusual Advert.

Ash 22

Read what I thought was an unusual ad. on todays Irish Examiner. It's under a heading Grave Wanted. It's somebody looking for a new grave in St. Finbarr's Cemetery, Cork. I thought you either approach the Priest concerned or maybe some graveyards in cities are under council or corporation care.

It's a grave situation alright when you have to apply for a resting place.

Perhaps the graveyard is full and there are no longer graves for sale. In the past ,one could buy a grave ahead of time but in some areas you can no longer do this as there were too many empty graves in a graveyard and it meant local authorities were being made get new graveyards without the existing one being full.
My in-laws had a empty grave in the west and had left that area and no longer had use for it. I contacted the local council and they bought it back. It cost 12 Pounds in the 1960's and they got 250 Pounds from the council for it in the 1990's. The mother in law was chuffed at their real estate investment!!!

Yep, some of the graveyards are now full...but as far as I know there's another one now available near the Viaduct

The full graveyards are are still added to though; they keep a skeleton staff for this...

thats been on for a while now. St. Finbarrs is quite an old graveyard but very well maintained. Most plots would've been sold years and years ago for that graveyard.

Yes, I suppose with shortage of land near some graveyards we can see problems arising in the future.

Back