Unstable boundary wall

Chickatee

Looking for some advice. We purchased our house 4 yrs ago. We get on well with our neighbours last year we noticed the boundary wall between us was a little unstable. The mortar has come away from a section like a crack almost from the ground up. Our neighbours built this wall some years ago. It's no more then about 3/4 inches thick. Goes the full length of our adjoing properties however for half the wall it's no more then 4ft on our side. Little privacy. We expressed some time ago we would like to do something with the wall either rebuild with wider concrete brick or heavy duty wooden fencing. At the time they weren't in a position to do anything. Fast forward to now. They tell us they are getting work done on the garden including a new fence to the rear of the garden. NO Mention of doing nothing with the boundary wall. We went away for holiday came home to a 7 ft fence attached to the boundary wall and by attached I mean bolted on. I can see they painted the wall on there side initially while we were away over the week and I'm assuming the paint highlighted the issues in the wall I'm guessing erecting the fencing was to mask this on there side.
My overall concern here is that
1. They have attached fencing to an already unstable wall
2. By bolting on and in some sections this is through mortar not the actual brick they may have further affected the integrity of the wall.
3. at the section to the wall where it is no more then a little over 4ft. We now have sight of about 2+ft of fence which doesn't look great.

Ideally they would have spoken to us before they did anything and we would have been more then happy to agree something and pay half the costs.

If the wall was ok we would look to build up the wall another two layers so we have consistent height and we won't have to look at their fence. I don't think we can do this now or at least I don't think the wall could take it. I'm concerned leaving as is the fence will act like a sail and in storms like those we had last year could pull the wall down. This happened to parents wall two years ago

We have two young children so I want to ensure they can safely play in our garden.

What are our options here/best way to approach neighbor etc

Back