unsettled debt?

patgar

i was in financial trouble recently due to my business going bad etc. i have since sorted out all my debts except one. Everyone negotiated with me and talked to me in a relalistic and compasionate way...except one!!
i was negotiating with this firms soliciotors up until yesterday.
Then the soliciotor rang me yesterday and said my case has taken a very unusual turn. The client had withdrawn the case and given it to a debt collector.
now i have no-one to deal with and i am going to australia in 1 weeks time for good. I wanted to get this sorted out befor i go.
what should i do? they wont even accept stage payements and i cant pay the full amount?

Re: unsetteled debt?

Have they got a judgement against you to secure the debt? A debt collector has less power if no judgement against you , If you are making a reasonable effort and have not broken promises in the past it would be unusual for a company to go down this route.
You would generally need to show said debtor you income and expenditure, best bet is to go down to MABS and they will help you.

Re: unsetteled debt?

If you wish to sort this about before you go it may be wise to delay your departure to deal with this issue, whilst you state you are going for good…you may want to return one day and having a judgement against you will not bode well. Are you sure that the company involved didn't get wind of your impeding departure?

Eoin