unresponsive sky box

majee

our sky box won't respond to the remote control. we had it on late xmas eve but not yesterday. today, the sky remote will turn on the tv but not the sky box - have no green light and no menu options. switched it off at the mains and have waited a while for it to reboot. have done this twice but no response. it's a xmas crisis - need help!

Majee....try pressing the sky button on the remote, ( apologies if you have already tried this!) I have been caught by this a few times.

If it still doesn't work after that, can you turn it on by pressing the buttons on the front of the box, if not you should ring Sky.

yeah tried that alright! no buttons on the front of the box. just the slot for the sky card.

There definitely should be some buttons on the box, is it a HD or normal sky box, if you google images of sky boxes you can see them either on top or on the front. Have you been taking the card out when you switch it off at the mains, I think you have to do that to reboot it. A few years ago we had a sky box that would randomly turn off and not respond and that was the only way to fix it.

If the remote is turning on the TV then try pressing the "sky" button on the remote - that might re-set it to operate the sky box.

finally got sorted. had to call the sky helpcentre. unplugged mains, plugged in again, waited 12 seconds, pressed the 'tv' button then the 'sky' button. got the green light back and xmas for the kids is saved!

majee

Our + box does this every few weeks...remote just goes unresponsive. It usually comes alive after a few minutes, but sometimes needs to unplug also.

I find my Sky+ box does it sometimes - I put it down to the hard drive filling up, causing it to run slower. Never seems to happen when there is little on the drive.

A software update can be done by unplugging, then hold the back up button, plug in while holding the backup button until all the lights light up on the box.

Also a Planner reset(won't wipe your recordings) can be done by going into the engineer menu services 401 select. careful what you do in here as you can switch off the LNB and other such things.

Final straw a full reset can be done from the same menu, or by pressing the left and right arrow buttons while reconnecting the power(this wipes everything)