Unofficial Child Minding

legend99

Lads,
What kind of rates are people used to for the type of set-up where a friend of say a kids grandparent minds the child. I know that the standard issue with this type of set-up is that its all blackmarket, tax free, parent should probably be paying PRSI, child minder should declare for tax but noone does.

So with that set-up, anyone give me a range of what say 3 afternoons a week for a child aged 5 upwards, being minded from 1pm to 6pm might cost?

And please, no lectures on tax stuff...without these type of women minding kids the country would fall apart as thousands of parents would suddenly not be able to work.

I'd expect to pay more than €15 for 5 hours child minding and certainly more than €15/day, the woman Henny Penny knows must be running a charity service.

I wouldn't imagine €3/hour gets the child very much attention. Childcare is expensive and no reason to expect it not to be, but its the person doing the minding thats important

The converse of that point is that expensive childcare is not necessarily any better than cheaper childcare.

No she's not running a charity. I'm not in Dublin ... but this woman is making a mint. She has upward of 25 children every day. Despite repeated attempts the health board has not been able to close her down ... parents just withdraw their children until the heat is off ... or claim that it's a birthday party etc. Do the maths ... 25children * 15euro *52weeks ... all tax free! Children's welfare does not enter the equation.
On the flip side, one of my neighbours also minds a single child ... and charges 65/75 euro per week ... and treats the child as one of her own.

I pay €20 per day for 6 hours childminding for a 4 year old. I also pay my minder 4 weeks holiday a year. Very happy with the minder, and my kid gets plenty of attention. What would you consider a non-charity service, based on the fact that this is all cash in hand?

I have known a minder who charged €8 per hour and provided an abysmal service. Cost is no indication of quality.

We pay €220 per week to a childminder to mind a 9 month old and a school-going 5 year old, this includes any holidays she takes during the year.

However, she comes to our house every morning and collects our son from school so she's worth every cent.

I pay an excellent rate of €60 per week and she collects my ten year old son from school at 2.30 pm until 5.00 pm. She is very fond of him and he loves it there.

"Childcare is expensive and no reason to expect it not to be, but its the person doing the minding thats important"

I think some may not have understood me correctly, I did say that its the person doing the childminding and not the cost thats important, always within reason of course.

Diziet, if you're happy with the person minding your child then thats the important thing, the fact that you're getting the service cheaply is just a bonus for you, although the taxman mightn't see it that way.

Henny Penny's reply concerning the woman minding sort of illustrates my point. Its just not humanly possible for one person to mind 25 children and parents who leave their children with her should be ashamed of themselves.

"Henny Penny's reply concerning the woman minding sort of illustrates my point. Its just not humanly possible for one person to mind 25 children and parents who leave their children with her should be ashamed of themselves."

It never ceases to amaze me that when the childcare legislation was introduced it applied to all non school going children. So if your 4 year old was being minded it had to be a ratio of 8 children to 1 adult. He is still 4 and starts school in a classroom of 33+ children and there is no problem.

We pay €25 per day for our 18 month old. 10am till 5.30. Very happy with child minder. Its 3 days a week - so €75 per week. We pay 52 weeks a year regardless of hols etc as we value the minder so much.

I was paying 5 euro an hour to my childminder, my son (now 19mths old) was with her from 8.30am - 3.30, so that worked out at 35 euro per day, I supplied all food/nappies etc.

We weren't particularly happy with the care he was getting for various reasons, he is now in a creche, we pay 210 euro per week.

I fully agree with you Summer about children of 4 being in a classroom with so many other children and only one teacher. What a pity the government haven't made good on their promise of having smaller children in classes of under 20!!!

quarterfloun said:
You could always look after your own children............
Work?
My 2 year old goes to a local women, who has become a great family friend, for two mornings a week. The hours are from 9.00 to 1.45 and it costs €20 a day. How could anyone look after 25 children at the same time. I only have three and we have lovely multi-coloured abstract art work all over our cream walls. The chances are that an accident is going to happen in that house. Who cares about the cost then?

Pupil-teacher ratio question is a red herring in this context. Teachers are professionals so the atmosphere and activity will be very different in a classroom. Child-childminder ratios need to be way lower.

I pay 5 euro an hour each for my two children, a 1 and a 3 year old, but they only go for 4 hours and she's so flexible it's wonderful. She will take them at short notice and so on.
I also pay for a play school place for the 3 year old and a morning crech for the baby 3 days a week, but these are subsidize by the government as the area I live in isn't the best and they want mothers to go to work I guess.