Union fees - black hole.

There's no doubt that a big chunk of members fees is going to service those fat cat salaries of the union bosses

It's bad enough our taoiseach earning more than most of the leaders of the great nations of the world but now we learn that our union bosses also have their head in the trough. It's truly incredible what they are earning!

I have only had cause to seek the support of a union twice in my working life.

1. As a part-time worker in Crazy Prices 20 yrs ago - I regularly worked 30 - 40 hrs per week but only got paid for 24 (£1.49 was the rate). The manager lined us all up one night and told us not to work any more than 24 hrs and if we did he would sack us. Next week at 24 hrs clocked up I said I was going home and the assistant manager told me if I go home he would sack me....? This went on for a few weeks so I wrote a long letter to my union head office as the local guy shrugged his shoulders. I am still waiting on a response.

2. Last yr I phoned my union with an important query - left the question and my contact details etc. And I am also waiting on a response...

S

Id imagine some of it is used to pay the salary of the leader..e124.895,according to the Irish times online today.(Nov 7th )

Dont know if thats his total package,so you could add on car,pension ..

Assuming you are a union member, maybe you should ask this question with your union. Check back over recent annual reports to see the spending. Why not put down a motion at your next branch meeting?