Understanding PUT Options

forbes

Trying to understand how PUT Options work and struggling with it a little.

For example the company randgold resources is currently trading at $76.50 and my broker is offering to sell a put option for $30.40 with a strike price of $105 which will expire in a few weeks.

Whats stopping me from buying the option today and selling it back next week for $105?
Seems a bit too easy. I'm sure I am missing something.

Would appreciate some help.

Not quite sure what you are being offered...

Are you selling the PUT option or buying it ?

If selling, then it means you will get $30 now, but will have to buy the share on the expiry date so that you can sell it for $105

The option won't be worth $105 next week. Valuing these things is complex, and don't go near them if you don't understand them.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Are you selling the PUT option or buying it ?

Buying it. I thought the idea was you buy the PUT option and then sell it back before it expires and pocket the difference.

Valuing these things is complex, and don't go near them if you don't understand them.

I certainly wont. I just started reading up on it today and was trying to understand how they work.

You are buying an option to sell the share for $105 at some date in the future. You will pay $30 for this option. They person selling the option could sell the share today for $76, pocket your $30 and then buy the share from you for $105 ie he has made $1 if the share price is still $76 on the expiry date plus the interest on the $30 he got today. You on the other hand have paid $30 and then sold a share worth $76 for $105 ie you are down a $1 = $105 - $30

Obviously, if the share price falls further then you will make more but if the share price rises you will lose money. Basically, you are betting that share price will fall and the seller of the option is betting that it will rise.

Put Options Explained

Forbes,

There are two reasons why an individual or institution might buy a put option;

(a) to protect a stock position (i.e. a protective put)

Let's say that I hold (i.e. am long) a stock currently priced at $100. Now, let's say that the lowest price that I want to receive for that stock at some stage in the future (strike date) is $80 (strike price). I could pay a premium to lock in that price via buying a put option. I am buying the right, but not the obligation, to sell that stock at $80 on a certain date in the future. As a result, I have put a "floor" under my stock. Ideally, of course, I don't use (exercise) that option at expiry. I would prefer if the stock rises in value and I can sell the security to the market at a higher price!

(b) to make a return in a falling market

A long put option is an insurance contract, as described above. Therefore, the more risky the scenario insured, the more valuable the insurance contract or "floor" is. As a result, if the stock is falling, the price of the put option goes up. This is how you can money from the way you put it;

"I thought the idea was you buy the PUT option and then sell it back before it expires and pocket the difference."

There is one other thing to consider here and that is time value. As time passes, the value of the option falls since the contract is for a limited time only (just like an insurance policy).

As a result, in order to make money from buying put options, the stock not only needs to fall, but fall a signficant amount so that it doesn't undercompensate for the passage of time.

This is just one, but there are many, many options strategies that one can use for any type of market condition!

Back