Underfloor piping suppliers - geothermal

kildarebuild

Anyone good experiences of underfloor suppliers, need to find quotes of it to suit a geothermal heating system. Not having much luck through google or this search engine. Any help would be appreciated. I intend to layit down myself so it would have to be pretty DIY. Plans drawn up by the supplier to show where the pipes are to be laid.

Thanks
KildareBuild

heat link in tullamore do underfloor geothermal supplie and fitted
dont know whether geothermal is any good i haven't heard best storys in regards systems, cost of esb skyrockets for these systems to run i know a couple who are paying over 400euro bi-monthy on the bill when the heating is turned on (average size house)
another disadvantage is it can half a day to get the system heating up the house

If you intend going the self install route, i'd recommend Unipipe.ie. They will do a complete pricing system for you, and floor pipe layout. I had been in contact with them before deciding on my installer.

Kee heating seem good, they have a unique 3 pipe system, two other pipes feeding the hot water from the boiler the centre pipe being the return pipe water which is slightly cooler. No energy wasted, seems a good project to me. They have a good website keeheating.co.uk. They send you all the equipment numbered for installation a CAD map of the layout and dimensions, and a DVD of how to instal it, seems easy.

Only one problem i found them hard to get it contact with and i'm still waiting for a reply from them, hope its enough info for ya. Tell us how you get on!

Thanks for the help, contacted all 3 of them, hoping hear from them soon. Any more suppliers you know of and can recommend do let me know. nolaig90 exactly why is the heating poor in your house, im trying to figure why it works for some people and why did does not for others. People like qwerty? is quite happy with their system... Any chance you would know the name of the heat pump they have. Also they should not be turning it on and off? Maybe thats why the ESB bill is skyrocketed? It should be on the whole time... Ask them to try it on the whole time with the temperature at say 22 degrees. see what happens to the esb bill then?

i retro fitted underfloor to part of my house last year and got all the bits from heatmerchants directly.
rehau pipe for 120 sq.metres
rehau 6 port manifold
heatmerchants branded control box, stats (actually manfd by heatmiser.co.uk)
various other bits
all in for about 2700.
i found them excellent to deal with. they quoted from my plans and gave me them back with all the pipe runs drawn in. the quote detailed the cost of every part so i was able to check the prices against what was available from the uk on the web . surprisingly , in the case of the electronic bits, the prices were exactly the same as buying direct from the manufacturer but as they knocked a bit off the price, it was actually cheaper in the end.
highly recommended.

edit
forgot to say, i dont have a heat pump. i connected it into an existing oil boiler-rad system

We went with PET in Bruff in Limerick for our HP & UFH upstairs and downstairs. Good professional design input upfront - site visit etc. We went with the vertical heat exchanger option as the ground on the site was very rocky. With SEI Grant included it'll come in at 23k

I installed our UFH myself in a 2100 sq timber frame.
I got all the piping, manifold, thermostats and related tools for both upstairs and downstairs for 4300 euro delivered. Came with CAD drawings for each room.

We have it running off a Heliotherm GSHP and are running at about 15 euro per week for heating and domestic hotwater. If the system is not put in correct then it is going to cost a fortune, a mate of mine has an Air Source Heat Pump, installed by his plumber and his heating bill is running over 1200 per year. Crazy prices.

Our GEO and UFH cost under 17k euro.

Sorry meant to say we got our UFH from www.underfloordirect.co.uk
Based in Belfast. A sister company for KEE

Excellent, emailed those guys for a quote! Keep them coming! Just a question, can one install underfloor piping upstairs and pour cement on top of it as opposed to easi screed which is quite expensive. The first floor would be built with timber not precast concrete.. Or should i go precast concrete and pour concrete on top of it? Anybody any experience with this?

We have a timber frame so the hollow core was not an option.

I got the TF company to strenghten the ceiling joists so that it could take the weight of the screed. Now we could not put big weight up stairs and it limits you to either tiles or timber.
So we put down battens on the OSB, then 25mm of insulation between these, attached the UFH pipes to the insulation and poured screed (normal ) on top of this level with the battens.

i wouldnt be bothered with it upstairs. we really only use our upstairs heating in the morning and rads are better as they heat up and cool down much quicker when you need them. if you have joists, heat will rise through them so you will still get some benefit from your downstairs heating .

The problem there is that by using rads upstairs while using geothermal is that it is expensive to get it to a high temperature which would be required if using rads? Rads would have to be around 60 - 80 degrees while underfloor pipes can just stay at 22 to 25 degrees and would be more effiecient?

ive got oil -and my boiler is currently set to 65 degs. the ufh runs between 25 and 50. i believe 40 is considered usual. the 22-25 you refer to might be room temp - (quite hot)

Rads would have to be around 60 - 80 degrees

The rads don't have to be that hot at all, you can get compact high output aluminium radiators to compensate for the lower temperature. While normal oil or gas heating radiators may reach 80 degrees the average temperature is much lower as the boiler cycles on and off. Our boiler probably runs for less than 10 mins in an hour - geothermal heating tends to run much longer periods though at a lower temperature.

Not unless you have a 20mm or less loop gap you will not get it down to 22c degrees.

For use with oil you can also get the fan assited radiators. Anyone I know with UFH and oil are not overly happy with the amount of oil they are using.

Geo and UFH are ideal suited.

Back