Underfloor Heating - turning it back on

P

pkelly

Hi,

Haven't used UFH since April and just turned it back on for 2 hours last night. Everything seemed to working fine but this morning, when you walked on two tiles porcelain tiles in the hallway they made a sticky sound as if the adhesive was loosening.

They settled back into place after I stood on them - any ideas as to what's happened? Too much heat too soon?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

I'd be surprised if the heat in the floor had anything to do with it but check the temp of the water in the screed. Usually 30 to 40 degrees. I'm sure adhesive doesn't soften - the tile may have come away from the screed because of a weak bond.

the 'adhesive' is actually a very fine concrete, which never liquifies once hardened......

i wonder was the sound more of a squelching type??? could there be liquid forming under the tiles???

Thanks for the reply guys.

Haven't turned the UFH back on yet (weather's still too mild!) but the two tiles in question no longer make that 'sticky' sound when walked on.

I don't think liquid is forming under them as a liquid (I presume you mean a leak!?) would be present whether the UFH was on or not - am I correct?

Also, the UFH was used all last winter and the tiles were laid the previous summer.

Anyway, thanks for your help - I'll continue to monitor the situation!

Back